shipping items via courier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister S

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a couple if items in the For Sale forum and tried to get a feel for possible shipping costs. The items are just over 30 kgs, so pretty heavy. I looked on the parcel2go website (I've never used this before) and entered the weights and dimensions. The prices that came up were about £20, which seems reasonable.

Trouble is, just to be sure, I looked on the websites of the couriers themselves (TNT, City Link, etc) but couldn't get a quote there anywhere near as low as £20.

Has anyone any experience of using parcel2go? Is it really just as easy as dialling in the weight and sizes and then hitting "buy" button. Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Steve

I have used them for a few years and they are 100% people. Very reliable and they get such a discount because they buy deliveries wholesale.

Thanks Noggsy. I feel better about using them now.
Georges answer about bulk buying discounts also explains why as an individual, I can't make a one off shipment with CityLink, but I could via parcel2go.

Steve

i have used them a large number of times. The service is only as good as the couriers used, so difficult to judge how good or bad p2g are. If you do have issues, all they can really do is book another collection.

one further point. At a cutoff point on weight and/or length the price for parcel2go shoots up to pallet rate. There are other brokers out there- parcel broker is one IIRC- that have different cutoffs. When I bought my benchtop thicknesser, it was much cheaper to go elsewhere for the courier. that said, I always try parcel2go first, and unless it goes to a pallet rate would use them as first choice.

Hi mister s, i use parcel 2 go regulary to send my bee hive composter out. Yodel 48 Hr are the cheapest and over the years have had no problems with them, booked some out with city link and they arrived damaged. I really don't understand how a 48Hr is cheaper than a 3 day delivery and they all manage it in 48Hrs.

parcelmonkey have been OK for me several times Just sent off 50kg box of stuff for £30.

+1 for P2Go.
as said, they get the better rate for volume and you're effectively using thier account.
Same goes for using the ebay print postage for some parcels - its a better rate than the post office counter even though you are taking to the post office counter!

Unfortunately, by the time you add in insurance, that £20.00 will be nearer £50.00 or more if the item is a few hundred pounds worth. I wouldn't advise sending anything via courier without insurance - P2G only cover you for £20.00, probably inadequate for something weighing 30kg+. I have had mixed results with P2G though, as has been said, they are just a broker. it's when things go wrong that you find out what they are like. It did for me and they didn't come out of it well though paid up in the end.

For something heavier, I would try Anyvan. Basically, they put your job out for tender and you receive quotes from drivers making a similar journey who are bidding against each other. Seems a green idea and has the beauty that you are handing over to an owner/operator with a keen interest in doing a good job for you and seeing it through rather than letting it disappear into a series of lorries and depots and 'lifestyle' couriers' cars. I sent something to London recently and the guy quoted me a similar price to courier plus insurance. Communication with me and the recipient was fantastic and it was reassuring to know who had hold of the item all the way there.

John

Thanks for the extra suggestions of parcelmonkey, yodel and anyvan. I will watch out for insurance costs too.

I did use Shiply about 18 months ago when I sold my Myford lathe. It works on the same principal as anyvan by the sound of it. The lathe did get to its destination eventually, but the van driver changed his mind about the pick up date and the delivery date a lot, which made it very inconvenient. But it was going to Holland and the price was good and it did get there unscathed, so it all ended well.

As with any carrier, they are only as good as the actual person driving/loading/unloading. I'll probably try a few of the suggestions above and do a comparison.

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve

When i send my beehive composters out with yodel via parcel2go i never do the insurance as it adds a lot to the price. But as they are sent out as 3 separate parcels then i take the risk, if they loose one then i can send out a replacement, as each section on their own don't add up to much. Just hope they don't loose all 3 parcels then i'm stuffed. Anyvan sound good to me , i will look them up.

Parcel2Go gets my vote.

Used these guys for ages and yet to experience an issue with them.

Used TNT mainly but have given Hermes and Collect+ a shot as sometimes I can't wait in all day for collection.

Of course I hope it never happens but good luck with the insurance claim should it arrive damaged. They nearly always blame it on bad packaging and you might have a fight on your hands.

Back