Shipping and VAT on stuff from Uncle Sam?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woden

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm fed up with my el cheapo high speed grinder and am thinking of getting a half-speed one and trying one of those fancy Norton 3X wheels.

The problem is, there only seem to be two versions on the market - Axminster's and Creusen's. The latter's outta my price league but even the Axminster is costly at £96. I'd read somewhere that half-speed grinders do tend to be about twice the price of the regular versions; going on Axminster's though, that's twice the price of a fairly decent high speed grinder. You can't seem to get a low quality half-speed at twice the price of a Power Devil!

So my attention was drawn across the Pond where everything's a lot cheaper - even more so with the collapsed dollar (pity Sterling went down so much with it unlike the Euro) - and the range of low speed grinders so much greater. In fact they do variable speed ones that you can't seem to get here at all! So with price, and the accursed shipping costs, in mind I'd taken a real liking to the 6" variable made by Delta - these are going for as low as $80 and even less. That's just over 40 quid! Fantastic, I thought, but then came shipping.

And God did so smite the unclean thrifty with the cost of international shipping.

From a few brief phonecalls it appears that to get a 25 lbs grinder - one that retails at $80, don't forget - across the Atlantic would cost a whopping $110 or thereabouts. Aaaaargh - my foray into international trade has hit a major hurdle. Put it like this, I won't be going large with the Delta table saw option if that's the shipping rate for a tiddly grinder - UPS/Fedex et al would probably demand I put the house up as collateral!

Then there's the Revenue lot *spits into the dust with my best 'hardened smuggler' scowl*. Apparently there's no escape from VAT - you will be got! And that does it - what looked like a bargain on the website turns out to be even more expensive by the time you go to the trouble of importing it. Then you've got the problem of after sales conducted across the Atlantic:

"I couldn't just return the 6" grinder for the 8" version I think I'd prefer instead?"

"No problem, Sir, but you do know that'll involve two trips across the Atlantic and the small matter of $220 plus in travel expenses?"

I give up. It seems a company in Devon are my only option. :?

What about voltage? Have you thought about that?

Of course, I'd forgotten about that! I'd have to buy the box just for this, so that's another £50 or so.

Hmmm.... it's mounting up. :(

Devon knows, Axminster's looking more appealing. Ok, I'll get my coat - been itching to do the Devon pun for a while now. :oops:

The type of product that is easy to get cheaper us limited. Getting something smaller / lighter that is non-electric or 230V which is not available on this continent is the other type of product to buy in the states.

For larger / heavier items you don't want to use USPS, UPS or FedEx postal and courier services. They will rate enormous amounts. For large and/or heavy items you need a freighting service. They ship your goods (shared with other goods if yours isn't that large by their standards) by container on a ship instead on a plane.

Still for a single half speed grinder it would be costly because of its minute size and weight. It is cost efficient if you would be wanting to ship for instance a tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer etc, 200 Bessy or Jet clamps, 20 grinders, a car, you home etc.

I've bought nail guns from the US off Ebay and both times they've arrived and I've not been asked for the VAT. One was nearly new and the other a factory recon still in the original box. Each of them cost under £200 delivered which is a very good price as there was nothing in the UK for under £400 at the time

Latest posts

Back