Shexit means Shexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
The planning referendum was in 2015, and planning told me the main shed / barn, needed to be seperate. It's all done now so no second referendum or remaining.
The large shed is seperate from the main house, seperate fuse box, about 30m from house router.
I am trying to get a TV in there but can't pick up the internet signal strong enough to get iplayer.
What have you guys done.

Do you have any way of routing an ethernet cable from your router to your shed? That would be my preferred route. I got internet to a summer house at the bottom of my garden by putting a wireless access point in the window but it depends on the distance and probably the modern glass you have is metalised to some extent.

Powerline adapters should work a treat, I use them in my detached workshop.

You can get them with with Ethernet connections at the far end too so you don’t have to rely on WiFi, the WiFi can of course be used for phones and tablets too.

Regretted Shexit from the moment it occured. fallen out with the neighbours, sacraficed the cat in the hope that some deal could be done that would allow us to pay for access to the free transmit area of the iplayer customer union. Argued that the proposed deal where we pay for it all but can't have any say as to when we can use it or how much bandwidth we can have is in fact the best thing since the days when our shed lorded it over the whole of the garden empire. Finally given up and moved to Arcacia Ave where all the sheds are lean-tos and share the same interweb connection

hth

Sawdust Sam":22r0id9s said:

You can get them with with Ethernet connections at the far end too so you don’t have to rely on WiFi, the WiFi can of course be used for phones and tablets too.

Thanks chaps.

No fixed ethernet cable.

So I plug one in to a socket in the house, close to the shed. Then the one in the shed has a cable out of it to the TV.............. is this correct?

Sawdust Sam":29mo6lcb said:

I assumed there were separate supplies. If the incoming is common it should work even through downstream fuse boxes.

how long a run will the cable be Bob, I have a spare netgear wifi router that sat in the cuboard for about 4 years you can have if needed

Mikrotik Wireless wire. They'll give you a gigabit link. You just need to plug one end into the router in your house, point it (through a window will do (( provided it's not self cleaning glass which contains metals)) ) at the one attached to your shed. Plug the shed end into a switch. Add wifi as required. Bask in your awesome shed speed.

https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-wireless-wire-pre-configured-60ghz-link/15214

ScaredyCat":1966xud9 said:
Mikrotik Wireless wire. They'll give you a gigabit link. You just need to plug one end into the router in your house, point it (through a window will do (( provided it's not self cleaning glass which contains metals)) ) at the one attached to your shed. Plug the shed end into a switch. Add wifi as required. Bask in your awesome shed speed.

https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-wireless-wire-pre-configured-60ghz-link/15214

Ok, heres my house
YhfQKRs.jpg

Router is in the room left of front door as you look at it. TV is in the first garage closest to the house, so no windows point at the garage, would it still work?

The wireless wires operate at 60Ghz which wont like the walls of your house, they'll kill the signal. Do you have any network cabling in your house already? so that you could position the house end at the side? The wireless wires can be put outside if required but you'd still need to position the house side with line of sight to the shed side.

ScaredyCat":h392w7np said:
The wireless wires operate at 60Ghz which wont like the walls of your house, they'll kill the signal. Do you have any network cabling in your house already? so that you could position the house end at the side? The wireless wires can be put outside if required but you'd still need to position the house side with line of sight to the shed side.

Yes I have hardwire to the end wall. I could drill through the wall and then have them opposite the shed. Can the booster be put outside?

Very Similar to scaredy-cats suggestions is a ubiquiti nano station- out door antenna.
I had one set up for a client who’s parents lived in a guest house in the grounds of the main house, it was about 60m away from nearest acces point but connected very well and gave good enough speeds to enable Netflix to work,
From memory it’s was about the same cost as scaredy-cats suggestion it came with a mini router
I’ll try to dig out where I got it from

+1 for powerlines.

Bob, if your garage supply is fed from your house supply, even via another consumer unit, you should be able to get a connection.
Have a look at the solwise website. I use their products (https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-intro.htm no affiliation) to connect my detached garage via this method.

You simply buy two of them, plug the first one into the mains in the house next to the router, then connect it to the router with an ethernet cable. Then take the 2nd one (and you might want to think about this one having both ethernet and wifi too) plug it in in the garage, connect it to the tele and you will be able to access the web from the tele.

doctor Bob":3alfa5mv said:
Yes I have hardwire to the end wall. I could drill through the wall and then have them opposite the shed. Can the booster be put outside?

Yes, the wireless wires can live outside.

If poss I would run an armoured ethernet cable - even if you can stick it under the grass etc a few inches in a slit formed by a shovel etc. Best option long term IMO. You can use the mains bourne signalling units - should be ok if on same supply/ with sub main cable between your DB's - Ping time is a bit slower but if its TV that should be ok.
Other optino is an external WAP - I have tried various ones to get a decent signal and the best I have used are the ubiquiti ones - admittedly the internal ones but have 2 in the house to get a decent signal about the place and they work great.

Link to the ubiquiti external WAP spec

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-outdoor/

C'mon guys... no one going to say it? That is a NICE house!!! I have serious triple garage envy going on right now.

doctor Bob":11q113j8 said:
Sawdust Sam":11q113j8 said:

Thanks chaps.

No fixed ethernet cable.

So I plug one in to a socket in the house, close to the shed. Then the one in the shed has a cable out of it to the TV.............. is this correct?

Exactly, you connect the master powerline unit in a socket near your router then connect the router to the master with an Ethernet cable. The slave unit (you can have many in different locations) can then be plugged in anywhere on any power socket as long as all the sockets are connected to the same incoming supply regardless of how many consumer units you have, the only requirement is all consumer units are supplied by the same power supply.

I use Solwise and they work great, you can get wireless only slave units and wireless and Ethernet slave units, I’d always get the latter unless you know you only want wireless in that location for any reason. You can add more slave units at a later date if required.

I have several and I can stream internet tv to my Firestick over wi-fi via a Solwise powerline unit.

+1 for powerline as the simplest solution. I had a similar set up (albeit in a much crappier house!):

Shed on a separate consumer unit and around 40m of electric cable from the consumer unit in the house to the shed.

Performance was mediocre, and no doubt varies house to house ( I got about 20Mbs - fine for streaming TV).

As noted above you can get versions that include a pass through electric plug socket and wireless access point which is handy ( although I found my shed wireless connection was a bit flakey).

I used Devolo devices

Great thank chaps, I'll start with the powerline set up and see how we go.
I want to get iplayer in my home gym (first garage on the right), start with cheap options and work up.
All advice has been greatly appreciated. Compliment on the house was great as well, thank you.

as you say you have cable to the end wall i would second jimmy s's suggestion for a cable under the grass in a spade slit and under the gravel through 20mm conduit. I would use ordinary cat5 cable (you know where it runs under the garden so in theory no danger of digging it up) it may be a temp solution but cable undisturbed will last for years. and it is cheap to start with!!

Back