Shepherds Hut (without chassis!?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakfield

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been tasked with building a Shepherds Hut.
The chassis details haven’t been decided. ie Oak or metal, or whether to have one at all as it won’t be moved from its position.
I am considering getting on and building it now, on brick pillars without a chassis and if decided on later sliding a chassis underneath it ( I realise I made that sound a lot simpler than it would be in practice, but I think it would be doable.)

Does everyone think this is a stupid idea?

Does anyone have any advice or pointers on the construction of a shepherds hut that may be useful?

I think the floor area will be about 5.4m x 2.4m. I was planing on using 4x2 treated or 6x2 treated, sitting on 4x4 treated, sitting on the brick pillars.

oakfield":1yg4fdnc said:
The chassis details haven’t been decided. ie Oak or metal, or whether to have one at all as it won’t be moved from its position.
I am considering getting on and building it now, on brick pillars without a chassis and if decided on later sliding a chassis underneath it ( I realise I made that sound a lot simpler than it would be in practice, but I think it would be doable.)

Does anyone have any advice or pointers on the construction of a shepherds hut that may be useful?

I think the floor area will be about 5.4m x 2.4m. I was planing on using 4x2 treated or 6x2 treated, sitting on 4x4 treated, sitting on the brick pillars.

Know absolutely nothing about shepherds huts, but if you extended a couple of the floor joists and mounted them on to a post with a scaffold Jack on each corner (simillar to an axle stand) you could level/raise/lower and roll the chassis in after and cut the joists off when done.

oakfield":16erl2c1 said:

Yes I do, usually things go **** up most often when a specific plan is not impimented right from the beginning.
A shepherds hut is going to weigh a lot, even if you can get it in the air then you have to manipulate a wheeled cart under it without hitting the jacking system. Seems a crazy idea.

Whereabouts are you based? There's a rather posh shepherds hut on the farm I live on that people stay in for weekend breaks and such. I'd be happy to show you around it for any ideas/inspiration.

I have to say the people who made it did a good job.

large red":37f7hd7e said:
Know absolutely nothing about shepherds huts, but if you extended a couple of the floor joists and mounted them on to a post with a scaffold Jack on each corner (simillar to an axle stand) you could level/raise/lower and roll the chassis in after and cut the joists off when done.

That's along the lines I was thinking.

doctor Bob":37f7hd7e said:
Seems a crazy idea.
Yeah, I figured that's what most people would think

AJB Temple":37f7hd7e said:
No chassis = shed.
After discussing with the 'client' it sounds like I'm building a shed, (hopefully a nice one) she has decided she doesn't want it on a chassis]

Doug71":37f7hd7e said:
Never built one myself but some useful looking kits on http://www.cncdesign.co.uk
Looks like a cost effective way of building the frame, but not sure I like the idea of it being osb and ply - just doesn't seem right for a shepherd hut (or posh shed)

El Barto":37f7hd7e said:
Whereabouts are you based? There's a rather posh shepherds hut on the farm I live on that people stay in for weekend breaks and such. I'd be happy to show you around it for any ideas/inspiration.
I'm in East Sussex, so a bit far - Thanks for the offer though.

So, as it's been decided it's not going on a chassis I need to think about the base.
I've done a quick Sketchup of my plan.

I'm thinking 6x2 joists, on 6x2 beams (are these enough, do they need doubling up, or one in the centre?) sitting on brick pillars approx (440mm square).

Does that look adequate to those with the knowledge?

Thanks for any opinions.
base.jpg

base side.jpg

Attachments

• base side.jpg
    base side.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 210
  • base.jpg
    base.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 209
6inchs seems high for the joists. I would use engineering bricks as they tend to be less "water absorbent" a damp proof membrane under the wood. I would also put a rodent mesh on the underside of the base. As with any outside wood, I would cut wood first use lots of preserver, assemble and preserve again.

All good advise thank you.
Looking at the span tables I think you are right, 4x2 will probably be sufficient at that spacing.
My main concern is the size of beam that the joists are sitting on.

Back