Shell Auger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a shell auger last year but I haven't as yet had the opportunity to use it in anger till today but it doesn’t seem to want to cut anything at all.

Here’s a picture of the cutting tip. Is this the right sort of shape for the cutting edge or would I be better off trying to modify it it in some way?
The tip is untouched since it removed it from the tube.

auger.jpg

Hi Tintin.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but that tip you have there is IMO one of the worst to look after. It is a old design of cutting tip, where as the more modern is shaped on the spiral & 'D' bit principal which is very easy to sharpen.

Looks as if yours has a the small upturned cutting edge, which may need sharpening, but if you do just use a diamond hone/file, or you may remove the whole cutting tip if you try a electric grinder. Then the auger is no good.

If you look on the nose there should be two faces. With the flute on the top, looking at the auger from tip to handle the right hand cutting edge should be a little more pronounced than the left, and slightly higher. That is the one you need to hone very gently to give a sharp edge on the top. If it needs sharpening that is.

Good luck.

I've got something similar - it's a Record one, whilst not very good it does work.

It probably needs regrinding every time I use it ! - I grind an angle of about 10 degrees across it's face then hone the inside channel making sure I have a good sharp cutting corner.

Then push with all your might to get it through!....withdrawing every couple of inches to clear out the chippings.

I can't wait till it's been reground beyond use and I can buy a better one!

Chris.

Back