shelf brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some of these, but counter sunk and preferably without ribs?
TPH7555.jpg

I'd like to make some floating shelves the way archersam did.
http://ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30706

Thanks. I think I'd need something more heavy duty (thicker) than those to hold 1m shelves up.

How about buying a small length of 3mm equal angle and cutting/drilling/counter sinking to suit. available in 16x16, 20x20, 25x25, 30x30.

thanks all. i think that getting angle iron is the way to go but i don't have a drill press. not sure if it's that easy to put holes in with a hand drill?

could just buy a drill press i guess :)

pike":243ly9jq said:
thanks all. i think that getting angle iron is the way to go but i don't have a drill press. not sure if it's that easy to put holes in with a hand drill?

could just buy a drill press i guess :)

No need. Clamp the angle iron down to the bench with some scrap wood behind it. Use a centre punch to make a little dent where the hole will be. Start with about a 3mm drill and work your way up the sizes. Put a few drops of oil on to keep the drill cool (if drilling steel). Concentrate on holding the drill vertical.

BTW although I drilled holes to enable the shelves to be screwed down from underneath the shelves were such a good fit that I did not actually need to have done this (as you know I have a pillar drill which made the drilling very easy) so you might want to just drill the holes to fix to walls and try the shelves before drilling more holes than you need.
Sam

cheers Sam! I've got some angle iron and just hack sawed it into lengths. about to try drilling holes but as you say, just on the wall to see how that goes.

update: after a bit of practice hand drilling works fine as explained above with a small bit and then larger ones plus some lubrication.

thanks all.

Got the alcove shelves done in archersam style. angle iron brackets recessed into thick boards (in this case just 28mm redwood). Thanks for the tips and suggestion all :)

As I don't have a workshop right now, the biggest challenge was not going nuts having to find all my tools etc and make a space..

I found it quite hard to fit the shelves into the irregular shaped plasterboarded alcove. I've never used a sliding bevel before and it didn't work out great as I was probably making basic errors in transferring the angles. End result does the job though.

DSCF2096-1.jpg

Hey they look great.

As you have white shelves I would take the time to prime the angle iron and then paint them white as your eye is drawn to the contrast of the brackets....alternatively stick your largest books etc at either side :D

thanks Sam. it was a great idea of yours. Yeah I will no doubt paint the brackets. the OH is well pleased. only problem is i have 3 other alcoves on my to do list :)

Latest posts

Back