Shed / Workshop Roofing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbyndave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have just demolished my old shed in favour of a slighty bigger one so i can turn it into a workshop (My tool kit just seems to keep growing!!)

I am about to build the new one but I am no expert with roofing. I used felt on the last one but hated the stuff. As much as i would love to fit wooden shingles it is not really an option due to cost.

I have been searching high & low and the only alternative that seemed viable for cost & ease to fit was a rubber alternative at around £180 for 6m x 4m. After more searching I found on ebay, some pvc options for pond liners & thought that using 2 layers would be a great, cheaper alternative (around £60 to use 2 layers).

Has anybody tried this? does it work? or am i just being a complete silly person :shock:

As I said, I have no real experiance with roofing or much money.

You thoughts would we most welcome.

Dave

Hi Mick,

I have thought of felt shingles But I haven't had much experience of them and very wary about how long they will last or even how easy they are to install. I will be using 18mm ply for the roof and then need a suitable covering. Will I need an underlay with felt shingles?

Mick, Have you or anybody else you know, used felt shingles & how effective are they? or how easy do they stick to plywood?

If I am way off the mark, please let me know!!

Thanks for the reply, Mick. I am grateful for all input!

Dave

Dave,

have a look at Onduline. It is a corrugated sheet material that is cheap, and easy to work. It looks a whole lot better than felt. There are uunbranded alternatives at most Builder's Merchants which can be even cheaper.

Some of the modern corrugated "iron" with a coloured coating can look really good, and provide a really long lasting cheap roof.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I have had a quick look on the internet & found a few variants but it looks like this is a great alternative. I think this will probably be the root I take.

I just hope my ever-forgiving wife lets me get the workshop finished soon! She hasn't stopped moaning that as I emptied all my tools into the house whilst this is happening - it doesn't help that I keep ordering new tools without the new workshop! ( I thought the new bandsaw fits quite nicely in the bedroom :D )

Thanks again!

I used metal corrugated roofing, its the plastic coated stuff that you see on B&Q's roof etc, the benefits are it can be used on a low pitch and its dead easy to fit and work with (angle grinder to cut it), it comes in all sorts of colours so looks OK, (not as nice as singles).

Also they make lots of fascias etc so you can do nice neat job, i put roofing felt on then the metal, as i heard condensation may be a problem but i havent had any yet and fitted it last summer.

Well our American cousins use felt shingles a lot on most of their homes and seem to have no problems with them, short of hurricanes that is. I have used the felt shingles on a number of occasions on various garden structures and would certainly reccomend them. I always place cheap shed felt on as an undercoat and then lay the shingles on top of this. Once the edges are bonded down they are very watertight and wind resistant. I am not sure how long they last but think it is in the region of ten to twenty years. HTH. :wink:

Ihave just used some felt shingles from this company

http://www.katepaluk.co.uk/

They are made in finland so if they can take there weather they must be ok. They are really good quality and easy to lay and not too expensive.

Jon

Before being able to make any suggestions of roof material, you firstly need to establish what pitch that you are going to use! All roof material choice will be dependant upon roof pitch and the spacing and size of supporting timber work.

The problem with fish pond liner would be if you put in any roofing nails, firstly a site for leaks, secondly if the wind gets under the material it would most probably fly up or away.

I'd also recommend felt shingles - I've used them on both a playhouse and a storage shed. Have a look at my web link for examples.
They are quite easy to lay and should last well - think the Marley ones from B&Q have 25 yr guarantee!
As mailee said they use them in N America on houses!
Cheers
Gidon

Definitely felt shingles, I once had a small mobile showroom on a caravan chassis.It was built to look like a house with a hipped roof and even at 60 mph plus into a headwind not one of the shingles moved.When I sold it after 5 years use the roof still looked like new.

Hi again Guys!

After spending the last few days pondering on it, I have decided to go along the steel sheet route as there is a great tile effect sheeting available, It doesn't look too bad and I have worked out that in 6m lengths, I only need 4 sheets + fixings - cost around £180 All in the fitting time is very quick & easy for me.

A few more weeks should now see my new shed finished - I hope! as there are few new toys waiting to be housed (my wife doesn't like sharing the bedroom with the bandsaw - they don't get on!)

I wil post some pics when complete if anyone is interested :)

Thanks again for the ideas!

Dave

Hi gidon,

I will make sure that I post some pics!

By the way, Is your picture a view from your house or wokshop? if so, I am definately jealous!! lol! I have visited the moors a few times & love it(including the small pub i found that had nothing around except a few horses/ponies).

Dave

Back