She wants to stick a wine bottle where?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuffles

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that got your attention didn't it, you dirty thing.

So, missus thinks she would like something like this, well, actually, nothing like this but a similar rig in that the whole bottle should slip through. First stock image I came across. There will be lots of holes, there's a lot of bottles at chez Wuffles. Some of them are full too.

il_570xN.721460795_tb75.jpg

Without resorting to a hole saw, some digging and re-hole sawing using a pilot hole (allowing the middle of the hole to resemble something like the channel tunnel join if it were run by British Leyland), I can't quite for the life of me figure out how to do it.

It's bound to be simple.

Ideas please chaps.

hmmm, how about;
resaw the back off
use a large hole saw to establish the edge of your holes
stitch drill out the centre
then glue the back on again.

thats how i would do it but i'm sure there is a better way..

Rather than have holes large enough for the whole bottle, why not just the necks?

Obviously you'd need to balance the weight by angling the wood or extending the base in the opposite direction.

Similar concept to this

FT2GVJNGZACQFA1.MEDIUM.jpg

Two words, little hands.

I've done the necks before with a forstner, this is a new concept to me.

Will, I'm mulling your suggestion :)

It sounds like justification to buy some new festool gear :D .....not that they make anything for massive drilling.

Im guessing a core drill wont be a very smooth cut in timber.....

I can only think of making it in layers, route out all the holes to a template, maybe with a dowel location and assemble.

Maybe the image is deceiving, perhaps they are all miniatures :D

If you didn't fancy the neck route, then I'd resaw the wood into manageable strips, clamp the strips together and use a hole saw removing a strip's worth of material as you go, then laminate the strips back together.

Such a design seems well suited to holding a small number of bottles (say 6-10)
as a showpiece in the lounge/dining/kitchen.

For "serious" storage of wine (say40-80 bottles) the design is very inefficient,
both in terms of floor/room space used up, and timber.

BugBear

Oh she has "wine storage" elsewhere. A lot of wine storage. This is kind of showpiece stuff.

I'm guessing the laminating again after hole sawing might be the best route as I can't think of anything else either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wuffles":1ax0jipb said:
Oh she has "wine storage" elsewhere. A lot of wine storage. This is kind of showpiece stuff.

Oh, OK.

When you said There will be lots of holes, there's a lot of bottles at chez Wuffles. Some of them are full too.
I took it to mean your wanted THIS design to store lots of wine.

There used to be enormous hand augers for making well pumps (Victor Rose writes of them, and I saw pictures of a set posted on Woodnet from a flea market), but I think they're rather rare and collectible these days.

BugBear

I'd make a router jig and use a monster straight cutter to get the first 50 - 60mm of hole done. You could drill out most of the waste first on a drill press.

Then I'd sit down, open a bottle or two for a good long think-drink* about how to do the rest.

*Think-drink is a technique espoused by all the great makers. Try it and see how useful it is.

One method would be to cut the length up into chunks small enough to fit within the throw of a lathe. Turn all the holes to the appropriate diameter, minding your fingers on the fast spinning and very sharp corners, then regluing them. If you really wanted to show off, you could put a contrasting coloured wood as an infill at each of the glue joints.

Once all dry re plane the entire surface so they blend perfectly.

Then is essentially becomes a multi hollowing project with a final glue up and assembly.

Hollowing square bowls is a long established method in turning.

bugbear":3sd5tuqm said:
Wuffles":3sd5tuqm said:

Oh, OK.

When you said There will be lots of holes, there's a lot of bottles at chez Wuffles. Some of them are full too.
I took it to mean your wanted THIS design to store lots of wine.

There used to be enormous hand augers for making well pumps (Victor Rose writes of them, and I saw pictures of a set posted on Woodnet from a flea market), but I think they're rather rare and collectible these days.

BugBear

Sorry, relatively speaking. I could foresee knocking out a couple of holes freehand but as we're talking 10 ish I'd need a production line.

Pretty sure there was a similar thread on here about 3-6 months back. Search the forums for wine. I recall the original op did eventually get to a solution.

Can you not make it as a tall box with mitred corner to give impession of solid piece of timber. Neat hole would then be easy in thin front with a router. And some sort of thing at back to support bottoms of bottle. Something like a narrow book case with shelves and only front has holes in it.

Back