She wants to stick a wine bottle where?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please don't ask, worst job I ever took on.
Drilled to a depth of 15"-18" in sleepers.

If you were allowed to move the holes to the edges of the timber you could band saw them if you have a large enough band saw that is.

As Fitzroy said, this has come up before and it might be worth looking at this thread as it had some contributions from people who had tried it:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/cutting-92mm-holes-through-6inches-of-oak-t60383.html

(I seem to have been somewhat harsh on the design in that thread, but I still think a rack like this is a strange thing to want to have - there is no point in laying wine on its side unless it's the sort of seriously old and expensive wine that has not been filtered before bottling. Most of the wine sold in UK supermarkets is imported in bulk tankers and bottled over here in places like Accolade Wines at Avonmouth. )

AndyT":10o28yck said:
As Fitzroy said, this has come up before and it might be worth looking at this thread as it had some contributions from people who had tried it:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/cutting-92mm-holes-through-6inches-of-oak-t60383.html

(I seem to have been somewhat harsh on the design in that thread, but I still think a rack like this is a strange thing to want to have - there is no point in laying wine on its side unless it's the sort of seriously old and expensive wine that has not been filtered before bottling. Most of the wine sold in UK supermarkets is imported in bulk tankers and bottled over here in places like Accolade Wines at Avonmouth. )

Regardless of the wine source - probably cheap plonk bought from France on various trips there, how would you store it? Out of curiosity?

The http://www.rackandruin.com/ link in that thread Andy is gorgeous, absolutely amazing pieces of work, I'd put lager in it, or expensive bottled water, or my own urine, some of it in bottles too.

Wuffles, I store wine in bottles, standing upright in a cupboard where it takes up the minimum amount of space - I guess it depends on the size of your house as well as on the quantity of wine!

AndyT":1osie93d said:
Wuffles, I store wine in bottles, standing upright in a cupboard where it takes up the minimum amount of space - I guess it depends on the size of your house as well as on the quantity of wine!

Oh we're showy down near Cheddar. We get it from the cheese & wine parties I expect.

Random Orbital Bob":1osie93d said:
you're meant to keep the corks wet, that's why wine is always stored on its side.

I'm not convinced the drinking stuff stays in the bottle long enough for it to matter to Mrs Wuffles.

How much do you love your wife Wuffles?
Might a chain morticer work with an elaborate and ridiculous amount of clamping variations? If you made some mad circular jig that you could fix either side of your solid timber and rotate it... Ok I'll shut up now.

Like I said earlier - a deep pocket router bit. Wealden make one that will do 85mm deep. Go in from both sides. That should do it.

Easy peasy.
Cut the wood vertically down the middle. bandsaw the half holes on each side. Stick the wood back together again.
NEXT?

I'd use a hole saw the right size then have another drill with say a 30mm forstener bit. Holesaw then drill out the guts, lever out the remainder and repeat.....alot :) if you want a flat bottomed hole then let a piece of solid timber in the back after.
I

Coley

Sometime ago, on this site, there was a thread about cleaning up a swing brace. The chuck was cleaned, in part, with a device such as this.
Slotted Dowel.jpg

Something like this may help your cleaning up.

xy

Attachments

• Slotted Dowel.jpg
    Slotted Dowel.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,221
Zeddedhed":5w28ah3u said:
Like I said earlier - a deep pocket router bit. Wealden make one that will do 85mm deep. Go in from both sides. That should do it.

Yep, reckon that's what I'm thinking will work (for me at least) best.

Ingenious bunch you lot.

IF this is what she does want - she's flighty this one and changes her mind - then I may consider routing it with a collet extender as I have one knocking about before I switched router tables a few years ago.

A tidy job on a bandsaw might work for some of you, you crazy cats, but not in my gaff. If I ain't templated, it ain't a tidy job :)

Thank you everyone.

Looking at a 'Merkan lumber site, someone recommended one of these to somebody who asked a similar question. Part of me wants to get one and try it out.

414%2BP6bkkgL.jpg

I was reading the latest cmt book at it had a similar style Holesaw. It stated that style was capable of drilling 500 holes compared with the traditional multitoothed style they rated at 20 holes.
I use a 2 tooth one for cutting 80mm holes and it's in a different league compared to the normal Holesaw effort ;)

Coley

I am 100% going to get one to try out. Write it off against "aspirational designs sweetheart, I'm sorry, these tools don't buy themselves you know".

Thanks for the recommendation.

Now to size. I'm thinking 92mm as that gives about 16mm clearance around a standard bottle.

This is a probably a daft question. Well I'm sure it is, but what do you do when reach the cutter depth? Fine if you're cutter is a longer than your cut, lever it out. If not, remove the waste by hand? Use a big Forstner bit or similar? Suppose if you cut from both sides thats a big head start. Anyone tell me? I'm baffled.

Latest posts

Back