Shavings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mix them with grass mowings in the cutting season... helps keep the grass rot down too... without forming a claggy mess :wink:

Remember that if you use partially broken down shavings they will rob the soil of nitrogen in their breakdown process :shock:

Unfortunately I throw them away in my household bin.
I tried to take bags of shavings to the recycling centre but they said I'd have to empty them out of the plastic bags to put them into the wood section and the shavings would then blow away so they wouldn't take them. Most annoying.

I only have a small garden and have no need for compost so I'm still looking for something more environmentally friendly to do with it.

Duncan

duncanh":32hgfbhq said:
Unfortunately I throw them away in my household bin.
I tried to take bags of shavings to the recycling centre but they said I'd have to empty them out of the plastic bags to put them into the wood section and the shavings would then blow away so they wouldn't take them. Most annoying.

I only have a small garden and have no need for compost so I'm still looking for something more environmentally friendly to do with it.

Duncan

I admire your efforts, Duncan. I wouldn't have the patience to investigate any further if I'd tried the environmental approach and been rebuffed. We used to wash and recycle our cans at the local supermarket. Then the local council started issuing recycling bags direct to households and removed the can recycling facility. We are with a different council...no recycling bags. So we're either faced with a dedicated 24 mile round trip by car to the nearest recycling base or putting them in the household rubbish. Guess which one wins! Sorry OT (again :oops: )

I'm with Graham as composting being the best option, very good for dilution of grass clippings. If you have a local compost/green waste collection they ought to take it, but as Duncan found out, might not.

An alternative might be to find an old metal bin and burn them, it would certainly make them a lot smaller.

Cheers,

Dod

Back