sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boothie14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking of using this type of setup for sharpening-I want to know what you guys think

DMT diamond stone 600 grit-for intitial flattening of chisel and plane backs,because they stay flat.

A medium?oilstone for initial bevel grinding.I have been given this hence the question mark next to medium but its definitely not fine :D

A 6000 grit waterstone-for final microbevel and polish backs to mirror finish.

I don't want to devote myself to one type eg waterstones as I think they all have there merits and disadvantages.

Does anyone else use this setup?Is it effective?

Thanks

I don't know a huge amount about sharpening but I happily and successfully use waterstones and get superb edges. I would like a diamond stone but get by fine with a coarse waterstone. My question would be over mixing oil and water, not sure I can see any benefit to that. I just use two waterstones, 1000 and 6000 and that's nice and simple, no need to clean between them, no possibility of oil and water getting mixed and causing problems.

Just my couple of pence worth.

Toby

As a huge advocate of 3M Micromesh sheets for basically everying in the guitar making world from fine finishing to polishing....I have been a long-time user of the same sheets on plate glass for honing my blades.

This weekend I splashed out on one of them there Veritas Honing Jig II thingybobs and it is BRILLIANT....

Coupled with the micromesh sheets at £7 from fleaBay...it produces a lovely flat result on the bevel with a lethal microbevel which I could have shaved with....here is my little Issac Greaves tuned up after getting the jig...

issacblade.JPG

Cheap...consistant....and used for other things....

I can't use a waterstone for polishing nitro on a guitar body...I can with this stuff!

Jim

Latest posts

Back