Sharpening survey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What method of sharpening do you for your turning tools?

• Tormek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other wetstone sharpener

• ginder and homemade jig

• Sorby jig and ginder

• Tru grind jig and grinder

• One Way wolverine jig and ginder

• Freehand on ginder

• any other method (please state)

• Total voters

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

sorry to drag up the old Sharpening thing again ......... but I'm in the process of getting my first lathe setup along with the workshop (finally) and after much reading on the sharpening issue I thought I'd gauge who uses which method for getting the gouges, skews and parring tools sharp

If this is successful it may help new turners decide which method and jig to buy

Ian (who's trying to decide on which sharpening jig to go for :whistle: )

Not sure whether one can vote for more than one method; hope this helps:

Spindle gouges ground freehand as are all me miniature tools...

adapted drill sharpening jig (the cheap one) for finger nail type grinds...

skews on the basic Axminster platform...

often give the mini skew a tickle on 1200 wet'n'dry

oldsoke":3ayhrg2k said:
Not sure whether one can vote for more than one method;

Problem with all poles Graham, they rarely ask the right question :lol:

I do mine freehand, not because I'm clever but because I'm too tight to buy a jig and not clever enough to make one. Works but probably be better if I used a jig.

Pete

Freehand - although technique has improved after watching a couple of videos on YouTube.
Also hone them with a diamond sharpening stone between grinding.
Should get my new widestone Perform grinder today,and see how the white stone compares to the grey ones.

Andrew

Hi.

Long grind bowl gouges on a home made jig. Everything else freehand.

And they are sharp :lol:

PS:- Freehand sharpening is a learning curve in itself, but there are plenty plans for home made jigs on the web. Some elaborate, some basic, again jigs have a learning curve themselves. You have to form the shape the jig only holds it steady for you.

I use...
TruGrind jig for bowl gouges, spindle gouges, skew chisels
Homemade jig for roughing gouges
hand held for parting tools
veritas burnisher for scrapers
diamond plate for scraper tips from hollowing and shear scraping tools

Duncan

I use a Trugring jig and grinder with a white wheel to set up profiles I invariable will free hand grind most chisels as well and when I have messed it up I will go back to the jig to re profile the chisel again. I have used a Tormek whilst its excellent and gives a fantastic edge I find it too slow to use whilst I am turning I will sharpen my tools about once every 10 or 15 minutes when turning so want it done quickly so I can get on.

I can sharpen drills and other tools freehand. However when I first started turning the need for sharpening gouges and other turning tools made it clear to me, that in order to produce a clean repeatable edge some form of jig was required. After looking at various sharpening systems ( I know it is expensive) I brought the Robert Sorby ProEdge system.
A Superb piece of kit, for once some thing that actually does what the makers proclaim.

Free hand on a grinder most of the time, I have a Sorby fingernail jig but just couldn't get on with it. Now that I have sorted out doing it freehand I find that it is not only quicker, but also more flexible should I wish to slightly alter the grind along the way.

Dod

i mainly use sorby for fingernail profile and odonnell for all others but i am gaining experence in my freehand. slowley!

I have the new Jet wetstone. Essentially the same as the Tormek but cheaper. Can't fault it so far. However, a dry grinder is essential (the slow Cruesen the the best but expensive).

Back