Sharpening stone history

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Came across this recently (see photo). Can any one shed light on how to find more info. Most Googling returns Norton products
On the end of the stone there is a label that contains the word "Soft".

Is it a natural stone or man made.

Nice to use though.

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 131
Washita I seem to recall is a natural stone and being soft means that it wears quickly so exposes new abrasive all the time so is good for sharpening harder materials.

Thanks for the replies.

Any one know an age?

I also got a black block which looks rough sawn. I'll photo it and put it up here and see if it can be ID'ed

Cheers

Andy

The Washita River (Indian name) runs about 10 miles north of my home. Just north of the river runs a mountain range that runs from inside Oklahoma into the state of Arkansas. Inside of Arkansas, there is a place where they take the stone from the mountains and make the sharping stone and most of the time its placed inside wooden box for sale.
http://www.corpdetails.com/us-compa...pt-furniture/washita-mountain-whetstone-co-us
I say all of this because I believe this is where your stone came from. Mine did. :p

Travis

Thank you for that info Travis, thats sort of what I came to understand, nice of you to confirm it tho.

Many thanks Travis and Chripsy.

So Washita River runs through Arkansas and I guess Arkansas stone comes from there as well. My American geography is appalling.

Regarding the age I was more interested when it was removed from the ground rather than laid down as the bottom of some ancient sea, I'm assuming it is sedimentary. :lol: Were you serious about the age because I've since read that the Arkansas Novaculite formation is from the Devonian era about 420 to 390 mya?

What fascinated me was the markings and the effort manufacturers went to to brand their products.

Chrispy: I can also make out fast cut on the label on the end which confirms you earlier message.

Having read more about Arkansas stone the other one I have is nearly black which I think rules out any Arkansas origins.

Cheers

Andy

not necessarily- you can get a black arkansas stone I think, and IIRC it is highly regarded.

Back