Sharpening for mates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickster

Established Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday, I quickly re-sharpened 3 out of a brand new set of 5 wood chisels for a mate who needed to hang some doors. His wife had previously done a very good job of mangling the tips whilst trying to clean up some walls on their new house, without them ever touching a piece of wood.

About 30 mins ago, I received a call from him, interspersed with expletives, saying he had just spent 4 hrs in A&E having his finger 'repaired'. :shock:

Glad I didn't spend any more time on them.

and there was me thinking that non woodworkers only used chisels for opening cans of paint, stiring paint and occaisionally damaging screw heads

I once knew somebody who severed the tendons of two fingers on his left hand with a freshly sharpened chisel - trying to open a tube of mastick.

D'oh !!!!

Cheers

Karl

karlley":36zhlawn said:
I once knew somebody who severed the tendons of two fingers on his left hand with a freshly sharpened chisel...

He did mention something, inbetween expletives, about 'nicking' a tendon and it too was his left hand that got bitten.

He has borrowed my router today, so I think it's best to switch my phone off. :lol:

When I met my wife, she could not believe that a chisel could be used without hitting it with a hammer. :shock:
She had never seen a sharp chisel and was quite intruded by the neat shavings that my chisels could make with just hand pressure. 8)

I think the man in the street thinks "cold chisel" instead of "tool with a true cutting edge" :lol:
Philly :D

DaveL":2qefm4ku said:
..and was quite intruded by the neat shavings ...

Hope that was a typo, and you meant intrigued.

I thought a sharp chisel was safer than a blunt one?

My workshop currently has four grades of chisel, from a set of DavidC sharpened Lie Nielsens down to a set of paint tin opening black handled stanleys. Grade three are for chippy type work, and grade two for trim work.

I was amused to watch Tommy Walsh sharpen a chisel on one of his drivel filled programmes this week : " sometimes you get a chisel so sharp that you get a littol bitt o mettol on the back that you just scrape off on the stone"

When I met my wife, she could not believe that a chisel could be used without hitting it with a hammer.
She had never seen a sharp chisel and was quite intruded by the neat shavings that my chisels could make with just hand pressure.
You know how to WOW a girl :lol:

Alan

*Walks into pub & looks around*

*Approaches lady*

"Ere luv, how about you & me do a bit of shavin' tonight, eh?"

<SLAP>

:lol:

Latest posts

Back