Sharpening carving chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leebo914

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, i am hoping somebody may be able to provide me with some advice as to where i should be starting with sharpening carving chisels. I have trawled the net and there are oil stones, water stones slip stones etc and thats before i get to the different grits :shock: I don't know where to start LOL. I am just taking up carving and have purchased some Sorby carving chisels and thought i had better learn how to care for them properly. I do like the look of the Tormek system but would this be all i would need and is there anything i should watch out for if buying a second hand one. Any advice would be much appreciated.

regards, Lee :D

Metal_Polishing.jpg

A good quality polishing mop and compound works well for honing, you can get an awful lot of sharp edges on a carving chisel before you need to do any grinding. This is the technique that Barry Iles taught me and I use it for all sorts of curved edges, buffing cabinet scrapers, even touching up shaped plane irons.

You need to have the top of the wheel running away from you in order to avoid dig ins which is why I use a reversible drill. Lay the back of the bevel on the wheel and slowly pull back until you hear the underside of the cutting edge make contact. You can colour the bevel in with a marker to see where you've been if you wish. Once the underside of the edge is touching you roll the tool by twisting your wrist to polish the entire edge.

It will eventually round the bevel and need regrinding but the amount of material removed each time is minute, so you will have had hundreds of sharp edges and a plenty of practice to use almost exactly the same technique for grinding them by the time it is necessary.

Hi Lee
You're wasting your money on a Tormek unless you also buy the leather carving wheels attachment IMO
I have a Tormek but am happier sharpening my carving tools by hand. They will need a re-grind only occasionally and you should be just honing regularly whilst working on a strop to keep a constant razor sharp edge.

You don't need expensive hand sharpening equipment either. Do some searches on here for ideas. Can use oil or water stones and even fine emery on a glass or granite surface as well as a few slip stones. You could also bypass those with home made wood or leather shapes and glued on abrasive or even just metal polish. More methods than there are tools :lol:

Have sent you a pm

Bob

Back