Sharpening by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr_Grimsdale":2y5y82th said:
Are Groz planes retailed in Britain? I googled but only got USA sites where they look good and very cheap.
Nobody has answered the question of what you do when a 'Lee&Perrin useable outa da box' becomes blunt. Do they self sharpen or what? If you have to sharpen them yourself there would seem to be no point in having one. Or are they easier to sharpen, softer steel or summink?

cheers
Jacob

Hi, Jacob.

I bought a Groz from Axminster where it was listed as an Axminster 60 1/2, and I believe their 220 is also a Groz.

Alf had a thread about setting-up a Groz 220 here-- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5490 --which I found useful. The depth adjustment screw is definitely not as bad on mine as it seemed to be on the plane that Alf tuned up. No doubt quality is variable.

Like I say, once it was cleaned up and tuned it performed very well, although my standards aren't as high as those of some folks on here!

jacob your logic at times seems a little off.
the whole point of this thread is that ALL tools need sharpening at
some time. the whole point of LN/LV /Clifton planes is that the blades
are easier to set up at the get go, and needs less work when it blunts.

no one can convince you that the other methods of sharpening are worth
the effort, but to continually knock other products or the way in which others approach the job is not a productive activity.

let's agree to disagree, and see that some people want to work with fewer compromises, whilst others do not see them as a problem.

the answer is if you make money using what you have, and it does what you want then be happy, but don't stop others wanting to improve their abilities and techniques in anyway that they choose.

there are many reasons for people to return to hand tools including,
making less dust, and also feeling more in touch with the wood, and if you have returned to the hobby/work later in life it is no different from buying a brand new honda fireblade rather than a vincent shadow. with that amount of money you buy what you want, and the best available is always an aspiration for at least the majority of people.

we don't all buy the same food, so why should we choose the same tools for our work?
paul :wink:

Mr_Grimsdale":2cvdkxin said:
Nobody has answered the question of what you do when a 'Lee&Perrin useable outa da box' becomes blunt. Do they self sharpen or what? If you have to sharpen them yourself there would seem to be no point in having one. Or are they easier to sharpen, softer steel or summink?

:roll:

I have no problems sharpening/honing the blades of my Lie-Nielsen planes and chisels using the methods I outlined in my earlier post. I haven't had to sharpen any of my Lie-Nielsen saws yet though. :wink:

Back