Sharpening Axminster AW106PT2 blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrockdad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a Axminster AW106PT2 P/T and a Jet Wet Grinder.

I'm just wondering if I can sharpen the P/T blades on the jet? Or should I let my regular professional do it?

The blades leave something to be desired and theres a few set up niggles but apart from that it seems very flat and square! (and very heavy)

Punkrockdad, I have just bought a Jet grinder and was thinking the same thing. Tormak do a special tool for shapening planner blades.

I use a Tormek with the (expensive) Tormek jig. You do also need the jigged diamond dresser. I gather all the Tormek jigs work on the Jet. It is worth sharpening the blades frequently (I have two sets) not only does this keep the performance optimal it takes ages to re-sharpen if the cutting edges start to round over.
Jon.

punkrockdad":2r7v0fe9 said:
Thanks salvage - I'll go and hunt down a sheppach. I dont fancy sharpening in two stages.

Try Yandles or Poolewood they should sort you out

One point when sharpening planer blades, do you find unless your very careful that the blade can finish up slightly concave over its length. I assume this because the ends of the blade spend much less time on the grinding wheel than the centre. Would be interested in your views.

Pete - as far as I'm aware that doesn't happen on the Tormek. I use the planer blade jig supplied by Tormek and to date I haven't noticed any concavity in the finished blades - Rob

punkrockdad":3h865sfm said:
£100 for a jig? :shock:

For me the expense is justified - theres a 10 day turnaround on any blades
I would have to send off (no local tool grinder)

Plus the repeat cost of postage/grinding charges

You would soon see this "hidden" cost exceed £100

Fair enuff salvage, but my toolman is around the corner and costs me a tenner. Although driving 'around the corner' costs me about £325 in diesel these days, so you may have a point. ;)

Punkrockdad, as I said i have just bought the JET and I was a little disappointed with the speed (or lack of it ) sharpening. However I bought the diamond dresser, what a revelation the speed of sharpening increased significantly, you really should get one.

Back