Sharpening a hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MickCheese":eon3hly9 said:
Dodge":eon3hly9 said:
Fumbles,

If you fancy a trip up to my workshop just outside Diss in South Norfolk I will happily give you a couple of hours of my time and go through some different sharpening techniques so that you can decide for yourself what will work best for you!

If you want to take me up on the offer PM me your phone number and I will give you a call to arrange a mutually convenient time.

Don't worry there won't be any charge but donuts go very nicely with coffee :wink: :wink:

Rog

You probably don't realise what an opportunity this offer is if you are interested in getting into woodworking as a hobby, Just have a look at past post of Dodge's.

Are you a student? Find out how much a student return rail ticket is. I would be willing to subsidise your fare and will start with an offer of £5.00. I bet there are others who would donate a pound each to get you there. You may even have enough left over to buy Roger doughnuts.

I do this on the understanding you give us all a write up of your visit.

Anyone else interested in helping this guy out? After all Roger has volunteered his time.

Mick

I will throw in a few quid, and I'll add if he gives me his address I'll make a leather strop from some MDF and old leather trousers, for him to do final honing on.

jimi43":3vdi0g34 said:
Before we get into yet another sharpening debate...about which is best..this or that method...I think you are doing something basically wrong with your use of the plane. Your comment about it "getting stuck" tends me to think this is more of a problem than just sharpening.

Good spot. Sounds like too deep a cut.

BugBear

Getting stuck ...

1. The blade is dull and the plane will not cut, so the blade is extended further, and then digs in.

2. The sole is curved and the mouth is not coplanar, and then the blade needs to be extended further ....

Just two possibilities.

Regards from Perth

Derek

morfa":1sjxdpaj said:
See Jim and Derek did explain it better than me. As others have said, there's enough oil on it now, I'm sure, you can take it out of the tub.

I'd like to second the recommendation of getting the Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing. It can be bought here - http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... Press.html

And at Amazon for £159.67 and £218.76 !!! :shock: How is it possible? Is this the same book?

GLFaria":2gg6ear0 said:
morfa":2gg6ear0 said:
See Jim and Derek did explain it better than me. As others have said, there's enough oil on it now, I'm sure, you can take it out of the tub.

I'd like to second the recommendation of getting the Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing. It can be bought here - http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... Press.html

And at Amazon for £159.67 and £218.76 !!! :shock: How is it possible? Is this the same book?

The Amazon book is the original now out of print book. Lost Art Press don't sell to Amazon at all, hence the difference. If you buy from Lost Art Press, the money goes to Rob Wearing, who I'm sure deserves it more than Amazon does.

GLFaria":v0u355sp said:
morfa":v0u355sp said:

CRIKEY!!

For that short of dosh I'd get a limo up to Dodge's place!!! :mrgreen:

Better value too! :wink:

Jimi

Please stick to helping the OP with sharpening.

The which book is best and methods dialogue is now in the general woodworking section.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I was doing some spray painting, OU and shed tidying.

I can report that the plane blade is now sharp! I met with DTR, and he cast his expert eye on it. It turned out that there were still machine marks on the back of the blade (tiny ones), and the end I was trying to sharpen was concave rather than convex. These problems were sorted rather quickly.

Another more serious problem is that the frog does not move forward enough. It is stuck some way back so that when the blade fits through the hole, it isn't in complete contact with the frog. We couldn't solve this on the day, and I have to file the holes to make them longer. To check the blade was working, we put it in one of his planes instead. I've never been so pleased to see wood shavings!

There were nice lessons about dovetails, the direction of grain and how to cut down in a straight line. It's nice meeting someone in person since you can see things happen in real time, and ask questions as they go along.

My current project is to make a dovetail jig and complete a "dovetail month" (where you make a dovetail joint every day for a month). By the end of that I can see myself becoming quite competent.

So thanks DTR, and everyone else who sent me videos and offered to send me travel money!

DTR":riwyo1db said:
MickCheese":riwyo1db said:
Anyone else interested in helping this guy out? After all Roger has volunteered his time.

Mick

I'm just down the road in Stanford le Hope (and 5 mins from the station) if that's any help?

(I might not be the best teacher though!)

Sounds like you're pretty good, to me!

Nice one.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

BugBear

fumbles22":23w3zgyx said:
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I was doing some spray painting, OU and shed tidying.

I can report that the plane blade is now sharp! I met with DTR, and he cast his expert eye on it. It turned out that there were still machine marks on the back of the blade (tiny ones), and the end I was trying to sharpen was concave rather than convex. These problems were sorted rather quickly.

Another more serious problem is that the frog does not move forward enough. It is stuck some way back so that when the blade fits through the hole, it isn't in complete contact with the frog. We couldn't solve this on the day, and I have to file the holes to make them longer. To check the blade was working, we put it in one of his planes instead. I've never been so pleased to see wood shavings!

There were nice lessons about dovetails, the direction of grain and how to cut down in a straight line. It's nice meeting someone in person since you can see things happen in real time, and ask questions as they go along.

My current project is to make a dovetail jig and complete a "dovetail month" (where you make a dovetail joint every day for a month). By the end of that I can see myself becoming quite competent.

So thanks DTR, and everyone else who sent me videos and offered to send me travel money!

Nice one DTR....people like you on this forum that make the place what it is...a friendly helpful meeting place, second to none!

Well done my friend!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out.

Well done to DTR for heading over and sorting things out.

Fumbles made it easy, he's a clever chap and catches on very quick! =D>

Back