Shakes in Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been making a few snowmen lately (in yew not snow) aswell as quite a few tea lights but the pieces are starting to crack once they've been made. I've sealed them with sanding sealer then waxed them but should I use a spray that will seal them completely to stop them drying out?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Is the yew seasoned or green? if it's green then you need to dry it out or it will spit as you introduce it to a nice warm and dry environment, I don't know of any finish that will retard the drying process?
Regards Chris.

Hi Babylon, i'm afraid thats a common problem with Yew and lots of other woods actually, the problem is that the wood is drying and thus shrinking, are you taking the pieces straight into a heated home after you've done them, if so this will exaggerate the problem, ideally the piece needs to dry very slowly, this i'm afraid takes time, hence the idea of roughing out bowls etc. Turn something oversize, then store it until the moisture has balanced out with enviroment, then re-turn piece, on a finished piece straight off the lathe, one suggestion would be to weigh the pieces individually, and then place in a paper bag with the weight and date on the bag, place low down in the workshop and weigh perhaps weekly, when the weight has dropped and no further difference is found from one week to the next, then it has dried out to the same moisture content as the atmosphere. You can move it higher up in your workshop after a few weeks, and once you take the piece indoors put low down again in a cool place and let it acclimatize to your home. Its a bit of a chore, but in time you get to know how long things take approximately and can plan ahead. There are other ways such as microwaving the wood, boiling the wood, etc and sure you'll get several more ideas on here soon. Good luck.
regards Darren

Alternatively yew is very susceptible to heat checking - are you heating the wood by lots of sanding or drilling with a blunt drill?

If the wood is still in need of seasoning you could look to microwaving to speed the process (search on this on the site but it basically consists of weigh, zap, cool, weigh, zap, cool etc until the weight stabilises).

Miles

It's seasoned wood but I reckon it could be turning it and then taking it inside straight away. I took some of them into work where it's absolutley boiling so maybe I'd be better off leaving them in the garage for a bit longer.
Thanks

You want to be making snowmen in a white wood such as hazel , sycamore, willow or mountain ash and they will take colour and pyrography very well. They will look a bit silly in yew and if the wood is cracking it is not seasoned.

miles_hot":ld48r6bb said:
If the wood is still in need of seasoning you could look to microwaving to speed the process (search on this on the site but it basically consists of weigh, zap, cool, weigh, zap, cool etc until the weight stabilises).

Miles

microwaving works well with bowls where thin turned pieces can move and distort but its virtually guaranteed to cause splits in solid pieces like snowmen

there isnt really a shortcut to the seasoning process apart from building a dehuimifidier kiln to process the blanks before they are turned - and even there some will be lost to cracking

big soft moose":33d0zzj4 said:
miles_hot":33d0zzj4 said:

Miles

microwaving works well with bowls where thin turned pieces can move and distort but its virtually guaranteed to cause splits in solid pieces like snowmen

there isnt really a shortcut to the seasoning process apart from building a dehuimifidier kiln to process the blanks before they are turned - and even there some will be lost to cracking

Really? I thought that it worked ok for rough turned bowls of 1-1.5 inches thickness so assumed it would work for tea lights / snowmen as I assume these aren't 2 inch think etc? Ah well, live and learn :)

Miles

miles_hot":1m0q469m said:
big soft moose":1m0q469m said:
miles_hot":1m0q469m said:

Miles

Really? I thought that it worked ok for rough turned bowls of 1-1.5 inches thickness so assumed it would work for tea lights / snowmen as I assume these aren't 2 inch think etc? Ah well, live and learn :)

Miles

Ive never tried it on a rough turned bowl - i usually leave those to dry naturally - however the sailent point is still that the bowl has room to move and thus not crack by virtue of its shape

a solid piece like a snow man doesnt have that freedom of movement so tensions caused by movement are far more likely to cause crackage

also most bowls are turned cross grain, where as snowmen will be spindle pieces turned long grain , so the tensions are different, particularly with regard to radial shrinkage

miles_hot":ykey04nk said:

Miles
Dependant on wood species a 30cm diameter green bowl turned to 30mm wall thickness and put on one side to dry out can reasonably be expected to move 20-25mm out of round, leaving just enough material to get a finished round out of it.

Likewise dependant on grain orientation a 100mm diameter cylinder or round may try to move the same percentage across its diameter, something somewhere has to give.

gnu":31t19qgm said:
You want to be making snowmen in a white wood such as hazel , sycamore, willow or mountain ash and they will take colour and pyrography very well. They will look a bit silly in yew and if the wood is cracking it is not seasoned.

They actually look quite good if the feedback and order book is anything to go by, they seem to prefer the grain of the yew compared to sycamore ones I've done before

Back