Shaker End Tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chems":4xo6txhu said:
I actually really liked the sap running through the top.
Personal choice and fair enoughski, but go to any timber yard and examine the waney edged boards of oak with sap...looks just like a colander and so will those table tops without proper care :wink: - Rob

It would make a good forum project, you should do a set.

I did cut away all the sap wood, but somehow those bits escaped me. Hopefully they remain good overtime. They are well protected.

Chems":2wjapux2 said:
I did cut away all the sap wood, but somehow those bits escaped me.
Understood...sometimes though, it's difficult to chop out all the sap and a little bit does remain. Can't be helped, it's if it's left in deliberately as a 'feature' on oak pieces that worries me - Rob

What caught me out most was that when at the timber yard they asked, prime or character, and I said character, thinking that meant it had the best character, so it was quite knotty and difficult to get what I wanted out of it. Been away from hardwood for too long!

XY, thanks glad you like them! :D

Now, those are looking great with the hardwax oil on! 8) How many coats did it take? Haven't yet tried adding a coat of wax, myself.

If that is "character oak" then I've seen much worse :D - meaning, many more knots. Some large; some with gaps going right through to the other face. :? Was it much cheaper than the prime grade? Oh well, at least you know for next time! :wink:

Can't remember whether this has already been mentioned but, on the drawer, I would personally make the half-pins wider and probably narrow the central one, slightly (but, that partly depends on what cutters you have available).

Sap's a pipper to spot in many lighter woods, also including ash.

Have you had any luck getting these in to the shop?

Thanks Olly, 2 coats I used then the Bison Wax.

I had to cut around lots of bits but been fairly small items it was easy to avoid a lot. I did at one point consider going back an remaking a top but decided I wouldn't. I'm not sure of the price difference but I'll find out.

I was limited with the dovetails by the leigh jig, but the next ones I will definatly hand cut. Sent the pictures off today so wait and see what happens. I've also got 3 orders through my site so I'm going to be very busy!

Back