Shabby TV cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been busy this week trying to catch up with my jobs and made a start on a shabby chic TV cabinet for a customer. It is mainly made in AWO solid and veneered and has pocket doors and a pull out shelf for the TV. Not having fitted any pocket doors before I thought it would be best to have a dry fit to ensure everything operated correctly.

When it is finished it will have an off white paint finish. This is to match other furniture in the room.

Nice work. I'm liking how the pocket doors operate. First time I've seen or heard of them.

I'm amazed how quickly you turn out work these days. I remember some of your earlier posts from years ago. I got the impression you were just starting to do odd jobs for people and you'd put up a hot tub deck and canopy from memory?

Whats involved with fitting the pocket doors?

You did remember correctly I did build a couple of hot tub gazebos a few years ago when it was still a hobby. Strangely I am returning to one of the gazebo jobs to do some refurbishing and repairing after some of the storms we had this winter. I did make the step over to self employed about four years ago after being made redundant and so far am still in work and getting busier I am glad to say. I have never been a slouch in my woodwork but have to go at a pace now it is paying the bills.
As for the pocket doors the kits are from Hafele and consist of two runners for each door with a plate where you attach the concealed hinges. The runners click into position at the front so the doors operate as a normally hinged door but then slide back with a slight push into the sides of the cabinet. They are pretty straight forward to fit but I had to have a good read through the instructions to make sure I had all of the clearances correct before installing them. :wink:

Here is a TV cabinet that I put together about 10 yrs ago complete with raised panel pocket doors & sits on rollers so that the unit can be rolled out of it's alcove if it ever becomes necessary to get to the back of the TV.

Lee

I spent today assembling the TV cabinet after painting it. It took longer than I thought and I could have done with another pair of hands but got there in the end. All it needs now is a pair of stays fitting to the bottom door and it's complete ready to deliver. :D

I got the cabinet delivered tonight and it was pretty heavy! :shock: Luckily I had my weight lifting assistant to help me. Customer was very happy with it and has told me she will have another job for me in about a months time. :D I got a photo of it in place but my batteries ran out before I could get any more. :oops:

Nice piece as usual, thanks for the wip, very informative as always.

Having looked at the photo in-situ I was wondering how best to phrase a question regarding the 'finish' ........ when I remembered the 'shabby'. So why did they want Oak? Just for the bits that show through?

Thanks guys. Well Mike, my customer wanted it in solid oak as she thought it would last a lot longer than a softwood or MDF. It was also good for me for the grain to grin through and give a good effect for the shabby look. Pity it wasn't pine though as it would have been a lot lighter when we delivered it. :lol:

Back