Shabby Chic Painted Finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone has asked me to do a little MDF bench with a Shabby chic finish. I was just going to finish it in Dulux Eggshell White but a little research says theres more to a classic shabby chic finish than that. Anyone have any experience?

Chems,

I am no expert but as no one else has replied I'll tell you what I have done under instructions from swmbo! I painted some pine bedroom furniture that had a light brown varnish type of finish. I used Dulux eggshell although the colour I used was an off white (it was mixed, slightly cream). After a couple of coats, and when it was properly dry, I sanded off the white paint at the corners and other wear areas so that the brown showed through. You need to experiment until it looks right but be careful not to overdo it. Later on I made some built in wardrobes out of MDF and with these I didn't bother with any (brown) undercoat, I just sanded down to the MDF. The end result was quite pleasing. At least swmbo was pleased which is all that matters!

Mike

When I did this a few years ago I used a scumble glaze and a crackle glaze -
Scumble glaze gives a limewashed look and then you can sand down the edges to give it signs of age. If you want an even more antiqued look, you can get a crackle glaze as well which 'cracks' the paintwork.

hi chems ...have a look at general finishes website milkpaints and crakle glaze top coats . I have used the full range on painted pine console tables and dressers with great success..apply with a foam applicator and the finish is not far from a hvlp spray outcome.A good outlet is turners retreat at harworth who will also do mail order who i would also trust with my life their that good....carbo :)

Back