Setting Myford ML8 to run backwards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyPixie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello assembled geniuses! I'm sure one of you can get me out of a pickle. I bought a Woodcut bowl saver (http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodcut-bowlsaver-bowl-coring-system) on evil bay with the intention of cutting the centres out of big blanks that I intend to mount outboard of the ML8. Imagine my surprise when the outboard position's direction of rotation doesn't suit the Woodcut :oops: :cry: . I cannot see any way of reversing the cutter process of the Woodcut, so can anyone tell me how or if the Myford can be made to run in reverse.
I wouldn't get the benefit if I use the Woodcut inboard since the max diameter I can fit in there is 200mm and the bowl saver is designed for larger bits.
Perhaps I've suffered a purchase frenzy, so any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Happy pixie
If you are happy to use this thing without tailstock support reversing the direction of your ML8 will largley depend on the motor it is fitted with. If is three phase (unlikely) swap over two of the input wires to the motor. If it is the original split phase,centrifugal switch motor, swap the two wires feeding the start windings. If it has a capacitor, swap the wires feeding the capacitor fed start windings.
These methods are more or less permanent and if you are dead set(no pun intended!) Go for a three phase 220V motor driven by an inverter which can be easily set to drive the motor in either direction and gives the benefit of variable speed without the tediuim of raising and lowering the motor. Three phase rules!
Finally there is a beastly method, put a twist in the belt so that the runs cross, this will wear the belt rapidly but is a quick and dirty fix.
Whichever method you use, when running in reverse, remember to take off the chuck from the inboard side or anything else screwed on there, as it will unscrew and all that angular momentum will try and eat you or smash something!

regards

Paul

Axminster will usually take it back if its not been used - try them.
I wouldn't run in reverse with a chuck - it will unwind if not screwed down to the spindle.

Brian

The Woodcut Bowl-saver is designed to be used with the Tailstock support. I would not contemplate using it without !

Vic

Oh, poo!

Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will end up shoving it back on evilBay since it's looking like it'll be unsafe using it outboard, anyway.

Many thanks to Parvum for the motor advice. I like the idea of variable speed without juggling all the metal.

That'll be a project for another day...

I replaced my ML8 motor with a 3 phase plus inverter. So much easier, and if the blank is big and / or not balanced then the low speed from the inverter is just brilliant. I would reiterate the warnings about running in reverse though - my chuck unscrewed itself. It is a 3 jaw metal working chuck and hit the floor (not via me, luckily) with one serious thump. Lesson learned there.

I now have a union graduate bowl lathe as well, and my Axminster evolution chuck has left and right hand threads so will fit inboard and outboard, giving me effectively a reverse rotation when I change sides.

My final method of reversing rotation is on my recently acquired Colchester metal working lathe which reverses at the flick of a switch. That chuck doesn't just screw on though so reverse direction is just as safe as forward. If necessary for woodturning I have a spare graduate spindle which fits in the Colchester chuck and so the evolution chuck fits on. This lathe is brilliant for accurate drilling. I'm intending to make a woodturning tool rest to fit in the normal tool holder.

I have enough lathes now. Just need time to use them fully.

K

Back