Serious Woodies!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Now...I blame the lack of bootfairs! :oops:

AND...I would like to publicly deny any suggestion that the C word can be used where my plane assortment is concerned.....

But there has to be a warning...this slope IS steep...there's no denying it....very very steep indeed!

So...before my nose grows any bigger...let me reveal what these ramblings are about and treat you this cold Sunday evening to a bit of tool art that I accidentally acquired today from dear Tom of this parish....

I actually went over to pick up this little beauty....

DSCN0095.jpg

I have long since considered Philly to be one of the world's greatest craftsmen and have touched one of his planes for a brief time but to actually own one (um...well two actually... :oops: ) had me really excited....

DSCN0100.jpg

The engineering accuracy involved in making this skew mitre has to be seen to be believed....right down to the incredibly sharp and thick iron...

DSCN0097.jpg

The difficult thing about seeing beauty live is you tend to be tempted....ok...ok...ok...I was sold....

DSCN0086.jpg

It's a black Rolls Royce...with a fantastic engine from the Holtey modification stable....

DSCN0088.jpg

The lines are just breathtakingly beautiful....

DSCN0090.jpg

...right down to the paper-thin mouth...

DSCN0091.jpg

Philly....you have exceeded my expectations and Tom has looked after these gems like a museum curator...trust me my friend...I will cherish these too while they are in my care. =D>

Another great plane maker also took my eye while I was "out for the day"....and on the basis of "might as well be hung for a lamb...philosophy...".....I seem to have walked away with this....

DSCN0081.jpg

This is a little David Barron smoother....a homage to James maybe but certainly with a style all of it's own...and my favourite material for the sole...lignum vitae....

DSCN0083.jpg

By this point I felt that Annie would probably kill me anyway so what the hell...reach for the sky eh!?

DSCN0117.jpg

With a silhouette straight out of a Poirot episode...this beautiful jointer was something I found hard to resist...

DSCN0103.jpg

I challenge anyone who appreciates tools as also works of art to walk away from this beauty...

DSCN0107.jpg

I mean...the last time a profile like this was seen was on Lake Como!! 8) 8)

Add to this a fine set of teeth from the wonderful Ron Hock...

DSCN0114.jpg

...a detachable fence....

DSCN0111.jpg

...lignum vitae soles again...

DSCN0108.jpg

...and you have the perfect package!

The good thing about there being no bootfairs of note this year did mean I could save up my budget for a rainy day when I would be tempted to acquire a few planes I have been lusting after for years...and today was that rainy day.

I can't wait to use them! More on the performance when I do...

Thanks Tom!!

Jim

Jim!

Wow wow wow wow wow!

Speechless!!

Pete

Not sure who 'dear Tom' is but he has good taste in planes and his found his ideal customer!

Jim, that tool chest of yours is going to need elastic sides, I think.

Very nice Jimi the Barrons were not quite for sale this morning was there any arm twisting involved?

Yes....sorry about that Tommo...I just missed you apparently...you saved me from a serious scalping (just)...I think if I had manage to snag to chamfer plane as well I might have been in trouble with Annie!

I do now have another problem...what to do with all the studio pottery and Clarice Cliffe collection...as these are definitely not going anywhere but the lounge...

And just to confirm that Philly knows how to make irons...I am now missing a large thin slice of my right middle finger..about a cell thick!!! :oops: Better that than letting it fall to the floor eh guys!? :mrgreen:

I am going to test these in reverse order...starting with the jointer...simply because I have a bit of jointing to do very soon indeed and so I couldn't resist going out into the cold and dark....

DSCN0121-001.JPG

Rather a deep set yet...didn't have the patience to set it very fine but none-the-less...

DSCN0122-001.JPG

AND...I'm left handed so I feel a modification coming on! :shock: (sorry David!)

DSCN0124-001.JPG

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement!

Got to go to work tomorrow to help pay for more of these darlings but I will try the remaining three tomorrow afternoon...watch this space!

Always assuming I have any fingers left by then! :cry:

Jim

Ah I was picking up the Philly Panel Raiser today Jim the Philly Chamfer was last week.Saved each other it seems was about to press the button on the skew but I was saved by your post =D>.
As to replacing your Clarice Cliff collection with planes thats just Bizarre #-o Hat and coat time do you think?

Tom K":33zlchcw said:
Ah I was picking up the Philly Panel Raiser today Jim the Philly Chamfer was last week.Saved each other it seems was about to press the button on the skew but I was saved by your post =D>.
As to replacing your Clarice Cliff collection with planes thats just Bizarre #-o Hat and coat time do you think?

AH....ya see! I'm not the only loon around here! :mrgreen:

I've been teetering on the brink of getting either a Veritas or LN jointer for a while now but now I have this I feel I have made a much better choice!

Jim

Stunning collection Jim - I would quite like to give that coffin smoother a try-out =P~
Andy's right... just how big is the new plane cabinet going to be? And it will need some growing space as well of course.

You, Sir, made my day for sure. What an incredible bundle of woodies. Each and every worth to be shown in an own thread! Speechless....

Congrats on those breathtaking fine tools, Jim.

Klaus

Jimi, I feel bad for you having to store all those planes. They look like they take a lot of looking after, your insurance must be through the roof and I would be prepared, for you, to sacrifice some of the space in my cabin and some of my time to make sure that they get the attention they deserve. Selfless, I know, but that's how I am.

Jim, my friend, it is hart, but someone has to tell you the truth:

You suck! :lol:

This is the nicest woody (and with some canadian exceptions the nicest plane) I've seen.

DSCN0086.jpg

BTw, where is Philly?

Cheers
Pedder

Yes indeed Pedder, you went straight to the same one I did... Jim may let me play with it soon. If so I shall report back (but he will have to do the setting, I could not hit that, even lightly).

Andy/Douglas.....

Yes...I constantly think that all I will do is put a lot of bars on the wall and just keep building boxes...where have I seen that before!? :wink: Douglas?

Klaus...I thing that you are partially responsible for my increasing assortment of fine planes...having seen your little group....if you know what I mean. It is really wonderful to have some pieces of art to make other tools with...I think they impart their quality to your work. I am convinced of this.

Noggsy...thanks for the offer...If I carry on making shelf space it may reach to Runcorn! :mrgreen:

Thanks Pedder...I know you mean that in the nicest possible way! Listen...I have to up the quality level of my planes...after all...they will sit next to your beautiful saw in the chest! 8)

And yes...that Philly coffin smoother is rather gorgeous isn't it! Don't worry Douglas...I don't hit it either. You only need to wiggle the wedge to get the iron out and I tap it to the right depth each time...if I overshoot...it comes out and I start again...This is not going to be hit with anything on the wood...though I'm sure it will take it. :wink:

Pedder...if you need to see the rest of Philly's collection...try clicking HERE

So...on the subject of Philly's planes...I tried out the skew mitre tonight. I will have to try it on a shooting board and on end grain soon but in the meantime...a piece of beech and hand-held sufficed to do the testing....

DSCN0137.JPG

This thing is virtually surgical!

DSCN0153.JPG

I went a bit bonkers after the beech....teak...oak...cherry...even pine to cheat...they all fell out in wonderful curly ribbons with almost no effort at all...

DSCN0150.JPG

I've forgiven this animal for nearly severing my finger......but you sure have to watch out for that huge lump of fine tool steel and keep it well and truly in its cage...it's phenomenal!!

I have the whole day off tomorrow...more time to play! :mrgreen:

Jim

Great haul Jimi.

I`ve had a Skew miter for quite a few years now & even though I`ve tried most of the modern shooting board planes Philly`s is still the one I like the best.

Enjoy, as I`m sure you will.

Cheers.

But you haven't bought me one, have you.

:wink: :lol:

Pete

Back