Serious Woodies!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":nfetgwew said:
I've been recommending a Philly Skew Mitre as cheaper and better than a LN #9 for years.

BugBear

that is why they make the 51/52 now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Klaus Kretschmar":2g5z8xil said:
jimi43":2g5z8xil said:
Klaus...I thing that you are partially responsible for my increasing assortment of fine planes...

Wow, I feel to be guilty... :cry: :lol:

Klaus

Don't be Klaus...you did me a real favour sending me the pictures of your amazing collection. Inspirational!

How is your treatment coming on?

Jim

Jimi
Glad to see your tool "kit" (notice I skirted around the "C" word :lol: ) filling out nicely!
The African Blackwood Smoother can be safely adjusted with a wooden mallet, the Blackwood being incredibly dense and tough.

I don't get much computer time these days, being a very busy boy in the workshop. So if anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a PM to get my attention.

Enjoy,
Philly :D

Philly":17nnn1bq said:
Jimi
Glad to see your tool "kit" (notice I skirted around the "C" word :lol: ) filling out nicely!
The African Blackwood Smoother can be safely adjusted with a wooden mallet, the Blackwood being incredibly dense and tough.

I don't get much computer time these days, being a very busy boy in the workshop. So if anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a PM to get my attention.

Enjoy,
Philly :D

Hi Philly,

as it was my who asked: no particular questions, but it is nice to know you're watching us. You don't know, but I've a Philly plane blade in my shop, from a friend who tuned an ulmia with it. That is a great blade!

Cheers Pedder

Hi Philly

Thanks for popping by mate...and I am so pleased to now be a proud owner.

I know that the African Blackwood is hard as nails and could easily stand up to the most criminal abuse but at present...I am not sure whether to use it or kneel down and offer sacrifices to it...it truly is a supreme work of art! :mrgreen:

I am also a little more careful with the mitre iron...the thing is a mini guillotine and that's the first time I've had an iron slide out on me as I was setting it. I'll have to watch that on the panel build...and that's only just shy of 5mm at its pointy bit....dangerous weapons these things! :oops:

I really must get around to photographing the irons in these planes...they are works of art in themselves.

Jim

Pedder - Ahhh...my irons get around, I see :D Thanks!

Jim - Glad you like the Smoother, she's a pretty little thing! Take good care of her, and enjoy :D
The Skew Miter is a great plane and the iron is a monster, designed to add additional weight to the plane (actual as well as visual!). Bugbear has been prompting me for years to get it into production, and voila!
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask,

Back to the bench....

Phil :D

After sacrificing a few lambs to "Oscar"....so named after Oscar Peterson because it's cool, black and sharp as a pin... 8) , I tried the little wonder out on that burr oak...soon to be making an appearance in the Richard T panel....

DSCN0246.JPG

It took a while to understand that this great combination of Phil and Karl...is a subtle one.

No scrub action here...this is delicate stuff...ultra fine mouth...slow but easy smoothing.

The oak had quite a few bandsaw marks...even with Douglas' meat and two veg blade from Ian... :mrgreen: and little Oscar just wanted to finely nibble at the tops of these hills until the level reached the bottom of the valleys....

DSCN0247.JPG

....until a baby's bottom finish...

DSCN0258.JPG

Admittedly I did wipe it briefly over one of my coticules both sides and I do notice a few tram lines so I need to take the finest amount of steel from both corners ( :lol: ) but for a smoother...this is one cool dude...and I'm not going to compare it with any other smoother I have...there is simply no point...this is streets ahead of even the infills.

If you want a smoother which is small and delicate and capable of surgery....

DSCN0260.JPG

...then this is the one for you. I won't be using it for general carpentry or on site :oops: as it's too good for one and I don't do the other... :mrgreen: but for the heirloom chest...yup...it's going to be in there for generations to come...

Phil...you're a genius mate! =D>

Jim

Excellent - I can take no credit as generations of planemakers before me had worked out the details. When the important areas are all "in alignment" you can't fail but get the result you are after :D
Enjoy,
Phil :D

Had the chance to play with all 4 of these yesterday, and it was an enlightening experience.
Every single one is stunningly made, and they share one thing in common - structural simplicity, I mean no more components than they really need.
It was the 2 small smoothers that I find very interesting. If I wanted one today, I think the Barron is about £185, the Philly blackwood £225, so these are premium planes. But I have an LN No3 bronze, and today that is about £238.
I love looking at the LN, but if I had either of these alternatives I would reach for it first every time. In fact I use my Sweetheart Stanley 3 (with Hock blade) far more than the LN as it is.
Both these smaller smoothers are pitched 55 degrees, and we (Jim and I) tested on some very awkward-grain oak, then walnut. Jim will bear witness these are really nasty lumps with severe grain reversal all over.
Both planes took continuous fine shavings with absolutely no tearing. That was working across a bandsawn finish flat walnut board about 400 x 200mm
The Philly is a work of art, faultless... on this example there is virtually nil lateral adjustment so I did need to do a slight re-hone to get a very slight camber central (r/h tip was digging in and could not be adjusted out). Whilst the mouth is incredibly precise, I was wondering why Phil makes the blade fit so close.
The Barron is a right surprise - the ergonomics are outstanding - you need to hold it and use it to get that. The toe is handed, this one R/H (Jim being a leftie :wink: ) - you don't have to think how to hold it, it just falls into the hands.
These are 4 stunning planes. Either of the 2 small smoothers would be top of my list well ahead of the LN No3 if I was buying now. A very strong demonstration indeed of the winning merits of a good fat blade, good simple support, well formed mouth, good ergonomics, excellent craftsmanship. Suddenly they look very good value to me.

Back