Serendipity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revwayne

Established Member
Reaction score
While cleaning and sharpening several planes and chisels, I reached for what I thought was my oiled shop cloth to wipe an old plane blade, it was a cloth with gun cleaning solvent that I had hung on a peg to 'air-out'. This I realized after I wiped down the plane iron. Lo and behold the residual solvent cleaned the plane iron to a silvery sheen with just a bit of rubbing. I then wiped the surace thoroughly and lightly oiled the iron with camellia oil. Go figure...an inadvertent 'grab' turned out well (this time)!

An emotive argument that always gets the juices flowing but it has little to do with guns, as always it's the di*****ds who use them inappropriately. The vast majority, especially in the UK are very responsible people who take ownership, safe use and storage very seriously. The UK gun laws on FAC firearms are very strict and even air arms under the FAC limit are regulated and misuse carries similar penalties to those of FAC powered guns. In effect that can mean prison! (No offence intended Revwayne)

The same can't be said of the USA unfortunately where it seems that guns of virtually any kind can be bought almost anywhere. My recent visit to a "swap meet" our equivilant of a boot sale, was quite an eye opener where I was offered various rifles, pistols inc ammo as well as some horrific knives for very few dollars :roll:

I own only an air rifle and couple of pistols btw and they are safely and legally used on my own land.

Bob

Bob - well said. I dont own any guns, nor have any intention of doing so. But then my land consists of a small garden on a modern houising estate. The mere mention of guns/gun equipment is not the same as advocating the widespread and indiscriminate ownership of them. Guns are a valuable tool (even higher powered rifles) in the correct hands, and without knowing the details, it seems that the UK has about an appropriate degree of restrictions placed. The USA on the other hand...

Adam

and there was me thinking it was spray gun cleaning solvent. Blimey what a tangent I went off on there! Good job drones weren't mentioned otherwise perfectly useless bees would have been confused with American military weapons killing hundreds of innocent Afghan children every year and that clearly wouldn't do

I didn't mean to start a furor. I grew up hunting and fishing, served in the U.S. military, I've been a woodworker all of my life and intend to continue and am now the pastor of a church. Tragedies in life affect us all whether those are here or abroad and yes these happen everywhere. What I reported here was a pleasant surprise that I found when sharpening a plane blade not gunning some one down.

It gets a bit soggy, er, humid, down your way, doesn't it?

I was wondering if your gun oil helps with corrosion. I've just installed a couple of low powered heaters under my tool chest, but that costs a bit to run. I've yet to find something that keeps rust at bay and still feels reasonable. Liberon lubricating wax isn't bad, but it's not as good as WD40 in preventing rust, although a lot nicer to use.

What sort of church, incidentally (can PM me as it's off topic really)?

E.

A gun is a tool like any other. it's the silly person behind the trigger that does the damage. Same with motor vehicles, it's not the machine. :wink:

revwayne":jefuu5nh said:
I didn't mean to start a furor. I grew up hunting and fishing, served in the U.S. military, I've been a woodworker all of my life and intend to continue and am now the pastor of a church. Tragedies in life affect us all whether those are here or abroad and yes these happen everywhere. What I reported here was a pleasant surprise that I found when sharpening a plane blade not gunning some one down.

It doesn't take much to start a heated discussion :lol: :lol:
What brand gun cleaner is it that works miracles on steel tools? We might be able to buy something like it over here and I for one would be interested in trying it.

cheer
Bob

Lons":xev5ibvq said:
What brand gun cleaner is it that works miracles on steel tools? We might be able to buy something like it over here and I for one would be interested in trying it.

+1. I'm curious myself, always on the lookout for the odd shortcut!

El.

I actually use WD40 on my table saw after going through iterations with 'promised wonder' oils and rust inhibitors good ol' WD40

Eric since I'm a new member I can't send PMs - denomination is Congregational Methodist

The gun cleaning solvent is Hoppe's brand - but I suspect any brand of bore solvent will work (and no it doesn't not work on the in-laws or odd workmates :wink:)

I have quite a few old tools that I inherited from my grandfather who was a master cabinet-maker in the ilk of Stickley - some have generational 'gold' (rust) on them and now I will attempt a rehab of these with this new found helper.

Have you tried Ballistol ? it gets recommended a lot in the German speaking world for all manner of workshop tasks. I'm carefull with harsh chemicals like brake or carb cleaner ,something benign like Camelia oil or technical white oil have medicinal uses so I tend to use them on tools
Matt

Latest posts

Back