Self Build workshop windows?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
Is building your own windows for a workshop a practical proposition? I need 3 for my new workshop about a metre wide and can't run to new double glazed units. Could homemade windows with double glazed panels be built in situ ? They don't need to open, just to be reasonably secure and well insulated.

Get onto FreeCycle. There are often windows going for 'Free'. Or, go to your local window company, they often have seconds that are quite cheap.

If you have not built your workshop yet just get the windows and build the workshop around them.

uPVC double glazed will not only be warmer but will reduce noise egress something most home woodworkers are keen to eliminate as bast they can.

Mick

kingcod, no problem if you have the right tools. I made 8 small windows and 2 large windows in my workshop build. My photo site is not available but I can send them to you if you want to see them.

Hello Kingcod

Something else you might get from Glazing companies is mis-measured frames.

Where are you?

I've got a recovered single glazed hardwood frame 47" wide and 34" tall going buckshee if you are anywhere near Mid Devon.

Cheers

Dave

I got 20 mixed sized double glazed units on FleaBay for a tenner...obviously locally!

I used about half of them already in my workshop and I just cut a hole in the lap wall...made a frame...sealed them in with sills....and battened the back to hold them in. They have not leaked and are perfectly functional.

Freecycle around here regularly has double glazed units or old double glazed windows given away....these are ideal for a workshop.

Jim

kingcod":3up03bop said:
Is building your own windows for a workshop a practical proposition? I need 3 for my new workshop about a metre wide and can't run to new double glazed units. Could homemade windows with double glazed panels be built in situ ? They don't need to open, just to be reasonably secure and well insulated.

I made mine and they were casements - split in 3 with the sides opening and the middle one fixed. 1 set for each side - I think I did a thread for it somewhere.

Now if they don't need to open - you could glaze the frame directly and even easier.

HIH

Dibs

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I must say the fixed pane built in place is sounding a good idea. Particularly as I have already made up the stud wall frame of the shed so may have to wait a while to get something off ebay that actually fits the three openings 1100 mm (you live and learn)!

It looks double glazed units (i.e. no frames) can be bought reasonably cheaply to order?

Back