segmented fish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donwatson

Established Member
Reaction score
segmented_fish_2.jpg
Hi All,
I cut this segmented fish today. It is 1/2" thick Maple and I used an Olson #2 crown tooth blade/s (I broke 1). Will post pics when it is painted and finished.

take care
Don W

Attachments

• segmented_fish_2.jpg
    segmented_fish_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 984
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the tip, I intend to paint with Acrylic and varnish it. There is no figure in this piece of Maple, it's just bland.
I have only used Olson and found them ok, maybe I should have a look at Pegas ? I am just learning so I usually blame myself if anything goes wrong,
but there are many variables, like type of wood, blades etc. always willing to try something new.

take care
Don W

@ claymore Do you have a favourite supplier for the Pegas blades. I have only used woodworkscraftsupplies for my Olson blades and they don't stock Pegas ?

take care
Don W

donwatson":2vjwna3v said:
@ claymore Do you have a favourite supplier for the Pegas blades. I have only used woodworkscraftsupplies for my Olson blades and they don't stock Pegas ?

take care
Don W

Axminster sell them. :)

Hi Don
This question is posed in my ignorance not trying to be a smart ...
No debate - I like the fish and appreciate the skill but how do you mount it when finished? Are the various (articulated?) sections sort of joined together with hidden wires or something so it wiggles - hope this makes sense.

Hi okeydokey, it is not articulated. Sorry.
@ claymore, I had a look today at Axi and was surprised by the £1 postage. I will order some blades later.
I managed to get the painting done today and hope to get it mounted tomorrow,

Attachments

• fish_1.JPG
    fish_1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 877
Hi All,
Finished at last. Looks pretty good for a first. I have mounted it on a backing board and it is sitting on my zero clearance plate.
I think I will keep up the practice with a few more exercises.

segment_fish_2.jpg

Attachments

• segment_fish_2.jpg
    segment_fish_2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 801
No, no router. I just have the 2" tapered foam pad in the chuck, 180 grit then 320.
Quite a lot of equipment still to get to make life easier.
I have had a look at the Bolgers stains on ebay and will need to get some of them. I seem to only get some sort of redwood but if those stains work I should have wood that looks like mahogany, oak etc. right ? or am I missing something. ??
I can get walnut, oak, sapele, cherry,maple pretty easily but not in big quantities but there will be a bit of work getting it to the sizes I want.

take care
Don W

Back