Seeking Advice on Safe Tablesaw Working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I frequently have to cut chamfered edges on various small MDF parts ..for example 40mm wide strips. I have used a router with some success, but the angles required vary and I can’t always get suitable cutters. I have an Axminster TS200 tablesaw with sliding table which I would like to use for this, but I’m having difficulty working out the best way to hold the pieces accurately and safely. A big part of the problem is the blade guard because with the blade tilted the guard gets in the way meaning the blade has to be raised right up rather than just having the necessary amount above the table. I don’t like this as it means passing the work piece right under the exposed blade making it more difficult to hold securely and safely. The obvious solution seems to be to remove the guard so I can lower the blade, but I’m not sure if this is the best option. As an inexperienced tablesaw user I’d appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hi Richard
There is noting wrong with removing a crown guard when you have to. The issue is about what replaces it. The temptation is to use the saw unguarded, but that is really not a good idea and your instincts should be heeded. The solution is to devise adequate alternative guarding.

I do not use the crown guard that came with my TS. Instead I have a home-made SUVA-style guard, which I use for standard rip cuts, and a stand-alone guard which I use with jigs or any other non-standard operation.

Plans for both guards are on my DVD Workshop Essentials 3, The Ultimate Tablesaw Tenon Jig, but you can see them in operation here for free and probably devise your own version without the plans if you want to.

Cheers
Steve

Your best bet is to make an add on to the fence, the very similar Kity has this.

You can make something similar from a piece of 40x40x5mm alloy angle. just drill a couple of holes so it can be fixe dto the rip fence and this will allow you to have the gaurd at the right height.

Though looking at Axi's site you should be able to turn the fence the other way round for thin work. Infact looking at the user manual on-line it shows you to do exactly that for thin work!!
Jason

Thanks for the replies - very helpful as always! I had been thinking about making an improvised guard, but wasn't certain about it. ..To be honest the tablesaw makes me a little nervous so I was probably being over cautious.

Thanks again,

Richard.

Richard,

If the table saw makes you nervous, might I suggest you get some proper tuition on its use. Not saying you don't know how to use one, but a good pro can pass on lots of stuff that will turn your nervousness into respect; which is better.

Nervousness has caused more accidents than it's prevented.

Best of luck.
John

:)

Back