Sedgwick TA315 any users ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catface

Established Member
Reaction score
Any members had experience of using the Sedgwick TA315 table saw ? I'm looking to uprate from present Scheppach 2500CI and its now down to the Sedgwick or a used AGS Wadkin. Mostly I process solid wood rather than large panels ; edging upto 8 foot long ; crosscut lengths upto 5 foot, crosscut max 2 foot infront of blade ; panel sizes max 2 foot square. Any input on the Sedgwick (or even the older non tilting one - LK model) appreciated. Regards, CATface.

I think your choices are a bit odd. For ripping long pieces a sliding carraige is probably the best option. Would you not consider something like an SCM SI12 or SI15 rather than converted rip saws?

Ted

RustHunter":27dtyrw6 said:
Would you not consider something like an SCM SI12 or SI15 rather than converted rip saws?
For a short time I worked in a place where the guy had an old SI15. The sliding carraige bearings were shot so the carraige waggled around and wouldn't cut square and the numbskull had lost the flip stops and didn't have a tape on the rip fence. So all in all because the machine wasn't even adequately maintained it was a royal pain to use and really, really inaccurate.

Scrit

Thanks for the comments. Shame no one's used a maintainted TA315, after all any machine thats knackered and misused will be a pig to use.
If my choice seems odd I arrived at it this way. If i process mostly solid wood (I do) & rarely panels bigger than 2ft square, is it worth the investment in space and funds, to use a full length next to the blade slider able to fully support a 9 ft plank for edging ? - the alternative being a cabinet saw (like the current 2500ci sedgwick) plus roller stands. I haven't used a full length slider so hard to compare. It ought to be much easier with the full length slider.

THe other thing is cost - the scheppach can do good work but is fussy ie. needs lots of maintenance during use, and is not stiff enough to always cut square (aluminium fences etc.). If I get something like a Robland E300 or Rojek is the quality really that much better than current Scheppach? Space wise I can just fit an E300 in.
I'm upgrading because I want to spend more time woodworking & less time cutting 3 times to get finish size & square, & less time on maintenance.
Any comment appreciated , regards, CATface

It would help if you told us if you have three phase and also what your budget is. On the one hand you are talking about a Wadkin AGS - an out of production machiner where very few were ever produced with a sliding carraige - and on the other hand you've just mentioned the Robland E300:

roblande300.jpg

a £3000 1700mm (smallest configuration) saw which also happens to be nearly a grand more expensive than the TA315.... So I'm struggling to see what you actually want.

Scrit

per original post - Mostly I process solid wood rather than large panels ; edging upto 8 foot long ; crosscut lengths upto 5 foot, crosscut max 2 foot infront of blade ; panel sizes max 2 foot square.
I got onto the subject of long slider panel saws because Rusthunter suggested above I look at SCM panelsaws instead.
The max space I can accommodate will fit the E300 or similar - I could not go any bigger.
The original post asked about TA315 because I can find no user reviews for this machine ; there are reviews for various models of AGS wadkin, some with slider, & I wanted to compare these to the TA315.
As to price I could probably spend 3K but I'd have to be sure the product was adequate quality for performance & longevity. TheTA315 is within my budget.
And no I dont have 3 phase. I'm limited to domestic mains supply on an armoured cable to workshop. Regards CATface.

Back