Sedgwick planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have looked at a Sedgwick planer thicknesser today, the smallest model I think. It is the later two tone blue model.
Everything seems fine except that it is missing the extractor shroud. Assume that Sedgwick would charge a fortune, also assume that no-one has an old one kicking around!

Has anyone made one, got a photo ? Or even a photo of the original shroud?
Much appreciated.

Regards

davin

Hi Davin

Sedgwick will charge you a fortune - I did a refurb of one recently and made a replacement dust collection hood.

0012.jpg

005-1.jpg

0022-1.jpg

006.jpg

004-1.jpg

Cheers

Karl

Thanks very much Karl.

Exactly what I was looking for. That looks even better than the piece of folded tin Sedwick want £160 for.
I presume that it just slips in upside down into the thicknessing table?
Looks exactly the same as the machine I looked at. I now know that it is also missing the overhead guard for rebating (not that I probably ever would) oh well.
Happy with the machine ? anything I should look out for...

Thanks again

Davin

I have had my 12" MB for about 20 years.
No problems apart from the 'tacky' folded-tin guards and extractor hood. (Folded-tin is a good description Davin! That's all they are. There is also a slight issue with the siting of the thicknesser adjusting wheel.)

If you can get hold of some offcuts from a firm that makes ventilation trunking, it isn't difficult to fold galvanized steel of down to 16 gauge.
Pop-rivets seem to be the order of the day to hold it together on my guards. Although Karl, I think your wooden attachments are the answer. Spot on m'man!

I am cramped in my shop, and even when the guard is stowed right over the planer bed, I get sick of backing into the sharp corners when I am at the workbench. So thanks for the idea of a wooden guard Karl. I will add rounded corners to mine, so I am not exactly pinching your design as seen! :mrgreen: !

As for the adjuster wheel, I need a way of avoiding it breaking off, when I am moving timber through the shop, or whenever a board falls down! Twice so far, and a replacement requires a complete wheel and handle. Why, oh why didn't Sedgwick put that wheel at the rear and under the bed, like Wadkin used to do!) :evil:

I used my shawl guards for rebating just once. Never again. It's frightening! :shock:

Thanks again.
Regards

John
:D

Hi Benchwyze,

I am a fan of the Sedgwicks but agree with your criticisms, however if you are ever unfortunate to break your thicknesser rise and fall handle you may want to consider an alternative. Elesa are the manufacturer for the sedgwick wheels, and they make the exact same wheel with a folding in handle. You can contact Elesa through thier website, and obtain a quote to order (cheaper that from Sedgwick!!)

Cheers
Munky

Hi Munky,

Indeed it is and thanks for that info. At the moment I am using a small batten in the spokes to turn the wheel. A folding handle is just what is needed, given the impossibility of moving the wheel!
Thanks for that.
Many Appreciations!

John :D

Latest posts

Back