Sedgwick planer - knife adjustment grub screw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBH1

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the thread is for the knife adjustment screws on the cutter block? It's the small grub screws situated under the knife. The machine itself is an MB with the 2 knife block.
Thanks.

Hi Myfordman,
The grub screws have a 4mm allen key head. The machine itself is one of the two tone green versions with the 1500mm beds. The grub screws are pretty badly shot and the threads on the cutter block could do with recutting. Hopefully the grub screws are the correct size as they seem quite tight when winding them right down.
Cheers,
Euan

4mm is almost identical to 5/32" so that is the one size that does not help identify metric or imperial threads.

If it is metric, the screws will be M8 thread so try the fit with an M8 bolt - don't force it, if the thread is right it will only need light spanner.
the thread pitch is 1.25mm (20.3 threads per inch
The other possibilities are 5/16" whit worth or 5/16" BSF - it is very unlikely to have American threads UNF/UNC

5/16" whitworth is 18 threads per inch and 5/16" BSF is 22 threads per inch

So with a bit of measurement, you should be able to work out what you have. With that difference in pitches, they will either fit or not.

hth

MM

Hi MM
Do you know of a supplier of good quality screws and bolts - having been caught out with some Rolston ones I'm a bit wary?
Need some M4 grub screws

Rod

Why not contact Sedgwick in Leeds? They should know exactly what is needed and supply it.

Jim

Cheers MM,

I had a shot with an M8 Bolt and it seems to fit smoothly.

Many thanks.

Harbo":3771k547 said:
Hi MM
Do you know of a supplier of good quality screws and bolts - having been caught out with some Rolston ones I'm a bit wary?
Need some M4 grub screws

Rod

I often use Falcon workshop supplies - ebay vendor massiveattack007 feedback is around 300000 so he must be doing something right.
I mainly use black HT screws and bolts from them and not had any rubbish over several years.
usual disclaimer....
MM

Back