Sedgwick Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulO

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I became the proud owner of a Sedgwick 571. Thanks to Lord Nibbo for giving me some advice on how to break it down.

I am currently giving it a bit of a strip,clean and lube. (not going to repaint though)

Other threads on this mortiser said that it has a counter weight, mine has a spring but seems to work fine.

Mine is one of the older models that doesn't have a chuck, just a 1/2 inch hole and a couple of collets. Ideally I'd rather fit a 1/2 inch chuck, does any one know how the chuck on a modern 571 fits to the motor shaft. I have a 3/4 motor shaft, but most chuck arbours are designed for morse taper or R8.

The other thing I would like to get is a 3/4 to 13/16 or 1 3/16 adaptor, as I have some 3/4 shank chisels. Does anyone know if such a thing is available, or would I be better off machining my own?

Does anyone know what the recommended way lubricant is? It won't have a very hard life so I'm guessing it isn't that important.

Fitting a chuck on the older version is difficult if not realistic (someone will now post on how they did it :D ). The original casting that holds the motor assembly isn't wide enough at the front to take the 1/2" chuck. Some of the 571's had a morse taper chuck others had a threaded chuck. aligning the chuck to the motor shaft centrally and to the casting to ensure it spins true inside the chisel is tricky to say the least.

To be honest the collets work better imho than the chuck, as the bit can slip inside the chuck if not tight enough. But if you file a flat tapered edge on the bit so that when it's in the collect once you've set the distance from the chisel and tightened the grub screw the taper acts as a clamp to maintain the all important gap between chisel & bit.

As to the adaptors I would machine your own if you've got the equipment or a local machine shop.

I use a standard Castrol multi grease on mine.

Thanks for your reply.
A bit of searching shows that motor to JT adaptors are available, and are probably something I could machine myself.:

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Motor Shaft adapters:277

I haven't found a 3/4 shaft version for sale. I'll take a look tomorrow if it would fit with a 1/2 inch chuck, and maybe machine my own. I prefer the idea of a chuck, but may just stick with the collets and file flats on those augers that don't have them.

Back