Secretaire campaign chest - now finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
Always happy to do a WIP if people would like. I am just in the process of doing the sketchup drawing of this piece which is for someone with an interest in military history to keep their model soldiers, tanks etc in.
The design is based on a Victorian secretaire chest - with drawers and including a fold down false drawer fronts concealing smaller drawers inside. The client wanted it to look 'not too fussy' so we agreed on english walnut wood with paler wood - probably sycamore inside and ebony stringing details. There will be at least 2 secret compartments.
Here's the first rough sketchup diagram
image002.jpg

I will go and find some wood this weekend
Regards
Mark

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,856
gasman":2ndhfhvg said:
Always happy to do a WIP if people would like.

Yes please! Will be another of yours to add to my favorites i'm sure so looking forward to it :)

Dean

+1 for a WIP. I love campaign furniture, and I just read that Chris Schwarz is planning a book on the subject.

DT

Thanks to all of you who have encouraged a WIP\
Sorry about the delay - I am actually at home recovering from minor back surgery
As well as enjoying the step-by-step updates, I also get huge help in problem-solving in this way
So first (before the op.) I went to Eynsham sawmills and selected the straightest walnut boards which had the most heartwood
DSCF1025.JPG
. I bought some 1.8mm square ebony stringing from Capital Veneers and have ordered some new carbide inlay router cutters from richontools.com (8 cutters for $15 including postage - interesting to see how they are)
I am having a bit of trouble with the design
The client wants 2 of the middle drawers to be a drop-down hinged false front revealing smaller drawers behind like this
85895.jpg

As far as I can see, all the ones I have looked at have this whole section as a kind of big drawer which slides forward a couple of inches and then the false front hinges forward. The client would prefer it just to hinge forward with no sliding to maximise the volume of the drawers inside and not waste space or add weight. However I cannot see a way of having this section hinging forward without seeing the hinge barrel from the front - unless I use the sort of concealed kitchen hinges - which would not fit with the .
Anyone got any cleverer ideas for this?
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• DSCF1025.JPG
    DSCF1025.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,372
  • 85895.jpg
    85895.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,372
Gasman - Have you ever heard of Haynes of Challow ?
Not far from you and the last time I was there they had one of these in their secondhand furniture shed. I spent ages trying to work out how the top drawers opened before Irealized they were hinged. It may still be there.

OK think I have solved it
I found a book I must have bought years ago called 'Desks - outstanding projects from America's best craftsmen'
And in there is this Fall-front desk
DSCF1028.JPG

And the fall front bit has hinges concealed like this - which I think will work perfectly
DSCF1029.JPG

Thanks for the ideas - Soss hinges were a good one
A few more days 'R&R' and I should be able to start gently
Thanks all
Mark

Attachments

• DSCF1028.JPG
    DSCF1028.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 2,331
  • DSCF1029.JPG
    DSCF1029.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 2,331
Hi, I have been pondering this and come up with:-
Hinge .png

The relieved under rail, and the space immediately above it, would make a dust trap. This could be avoided by leaving an unseen gap at the back, of the rail.
HTH
xy

Attachments

• Hinge .png
    Hinge .png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,060
Baldhead thank you - actually as back surgery goes this is relatively minor - I have had the medial end of one rib trimmed by a couple of inches to remove the joint with the backbone which was very arthritic and the source of quite a bit of pain. My back problems are long-term but this might give quite good pain relief. I am 3 days post-op and feeling better already
Andy thank you - but you would see the knuckle of the hinge from the outside which I cannot have
XY thank you - this was the solution which I posted a copy of from the book 'Desks - outstanding projects from America's best craftsmen on page 1 of this thread. Yours is much more beautifully drawn though and at the sort of scale I can plan it much better
Thanks again and regards to all Mark

Back