SECRET DOORS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivotal Howard

Established Member
Reaction score
Years ago, working on Australia's New Parliament House, I was asked to details secret doors for access to pipes, tubes and wires. We could not source hinges or pivot hardware at an affordable price to incorporate the secret door details. About twenty years later I designed and started making a very simple low cost aluminium pivot set for the task. Some how the intellectual property ended up in SE Asia. I stopped making the pivots in Canberra. The aluminium section used addressed weather sealing of pivoting doors. Howard Styles - Canberra
ACC13.jpg

Years ago, working on Australia's New Parliament House, I was asked to details secret doors for access to pipes, tubes and wires. We could not source hinges or pivot hardware at an affordable price to incorporate the secret door details. About twenty years later I designed and started making a very simple low cost aluminium pivot set for the task. Some how the intellectual property ended up in SE Asia. I stopped making the pivots in Canberra. The aluminium section used addressed weather sealing of pivoting doors. Howard Styles - CanberraView attachment 148973
Sometimes It's worth trying to find interesting images for mural walls. I sometimes add simple secret door geometry. Its not only easy to do but can be very economical with low cost simple pivot hinges. Pivotal Howard
template13.jpeg

Sometimes It's worth trying to find interesting images for mural walls. I sometimes add simple secret door geometry. Its not only easy to do but can be very economical with low cost simple pivot hinges. Pivotal HowardView attachment 149304
Attached is a very simple secret door detail using a PVC channel section plaster trim to conceal the door frame and eliminate architraves.
secretDR.png

This brings back memories! In about 1960, I helped my Dad (Carpenter/Joiner) on a Sunday ( when I say helped, I made the tea etc.). This was at the London Townhouse of David Brown -Aston Martin/ David Brown Tractors. One room had a sepia Greek (?) mural all around the walls and the door was part of that mural. There was a rail at waist height with a catch that you pressed down to open the door. This house was in Eaton Square and had his and her bathrooms all a bit much for a fourteen year old to take in, the house was on three or four floors. Many years later I worked for a client in Eaton Square but I could not work out which was the David Brown one from my youth.

Latest posts

Back