sealing plywwod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought some waterproof plywood with which I'm making the foldaway walls of a market stall. I want to paint the plywood but wondered should I seal it first for maximum protection from the elements, and if so would a dilute pva solution do the trick? Cheers

I'd avoid PVA. The interior grade will not take exposure at all. Ehy not just give evertythin 2 to 3 coats of a good undercoat before painting, much as you would a front door?

Scrit

I recently bought some hardwood ply which I intend to paint. Whilst in the timber merchant I aksed their advice for maximum protection. They sugguested priming with aluminium paint, which I have done. It states on the tin that it is for priming hardwood and sealing softwood.

I'll let you know how good it is in about 10 years (I hope ) :)

Cheers,
John.

Project88":1r0fandi said:
I recently bought some hardwood ply which I intend to paint. Whilst in the timber merchant I aksed their advice for maximum protection. They sugguested priming with aluminium paint, which I have done. It states on the tin that it is for priming hardwood and sealing softwood.

I'll let you know how good it is in about 10 years (I hope ) :)

Cheers,
John.

Have you tried a couple of coats of polyester resin per side - I use that on my trailler - seems to last for years exposed to the worst of the elements and full of wet things all the time. costs £20 a gallon and I find that 7-800ml does one side. If you increase the amount of catalyst you can put on three coats a day.

mbk

I have not tried that but I can see how it would provide a good protection to the wood, provided that it did not crack or split.

In my case I am going to finish with white gloss paint, how well would that work with resin?

Cheers,
John.

Back