Scrolling vinyl records

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
Any tips? Especially on blades to use and how to stop the vinyl melting back together.

I was in an antique shop in Knaresboro yesterday and they have a £1 room where I spotted some vinyl LPs. I was going to buy a couple when Fran noticed a 10 LP boxed set, and as everything in that room was a quid, it was a no brainer. 10 hours of classical music on pristine vinyl, that's going to get chopped up. How sacrilegious is that? And I don't care. :mrgreen:

I sandwich the records inbetween 3mm mdf, If cutting a clock I line up the label to 12 o'clock and hold the front mdf in position with a little piece of double sided tape stick the pattern to the mdf and then cover with clear packing tape. I mostly use No. 3 blades but have gone as low as 2/0.
happy scrolling
Steve

I've been wanting to make my son a clock as a house-warming gift for several months and he won't let me cut up the vinyl. I had hoped to make a scene OF the band, using a record BY the band. He won't let me, says he'd rather have the record.

I actually don't really blame him - so it looks like I'm going to have to fake the inner label so it looks like it's the band but really it's something dreadful; I'm getting old so there's plenty to choose from nowadays :D

Then there's - "I'd cut anything for love, but I wouldn't cut that!!!"

Or my personal favourite - "Good Vibrations" by the Baltic Birch Boys.

loftyhermes":2bkz07vj said:
Martin, the mdf I use comes from discarded furniture, drawer bottoms and cabinet backs etc.
happy scrolling
Steve

I have to rely on others to pick stuff up for me, Steve, so it's easier to just go buy some.

Reviving an old thread ... How did you get on scrolling vinyl, Martin?

I've made a pattern for a clock I like but have always struggled with the vinyl melting back together before.

NazNomad":1plfcdla said:
Reviving an old thread ... How did you get on scrolling vinyl, Martin?

I've made a pattern for a clock I like but have always struggled with the vinyl melting back together before.

I only got as far as a few cuts to try it out, but it seemed successful using a #3 blade and slow speed. Mind you, it was below freezing at the time so the vinyl probably didn't get warm enough to melt. :)

I had forgotten all about it with the house move and health problems, so I am glad you reminded me.

Back