scrolling 2 - 3 mm acrylic sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthraquinone

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a couple of shiloulettes using 3 mm acrylic sheet which I then glued to another sheet as a contrasting colour.

Cutting the sheet was not that easy and I quickly learned to use a slow saw speed to prevent the sheet melting and rejoining behine the blade. One sheet proved relatively OK to cut but another chipped badley using theh same blade and setings. I am assuming the plastics werenot exactly the same compsition.

I am guessing that the finest tooth blade available would be the best (No. 1 ?) but to save a lot of trial and error has anyone got any firm recomendations for the best blade to use. Normal, reverse, skip etc etc. Would any of the mofdified geometry blades be better.

AQ

The last time I cut acrylic I used normal blades No.1 I think. Remember to keep the protective plastic on or cover with clear packing tape, it will help stop the melting back problem.
happy scrolling
Steve

Yeah, agree with the all the above.

I don't know much about "plastics" per se, but I think the OP is right, composition does vary (what I find in the DIY Emporium seems to from time to time anyway), 'cos just as the OP says, sometimes the sheet sticks back together almost immediately after cutting, sometimes it's OK.

As already posted above, I also used slow feed rate and slow saw speed, and if I remember correctly, I also used a normal tooth fine blade - I THINK I remember having most success with a "coarse metal cutting blade" (nothing special, also from my local DIY outlet, but the packet said "Made in Germany" so I suspect Niqa brand, re-labelled).

I must say, for straight cuts in "Perspex" up to about 10 mm thick, I find a "scrawker" just as effective (modified old small screwdriver, slightly sharpened and slightly hook-shaped). Just tape a straight edge along the cut line, "scrawk" along it several times, then carefully snap off. Works fine, but obviously useless for fretwork-type cuts.

There is a member here who has posted in the past who has professional knowledge from working in the sheet plastics industry for a long time, and who knows FAR more than me, but unfortunately I can't remember his name! Sorry.

The idea of sandwiching the plastic sheet in scrap thin ply (or even dense cardboard) should work too, but I've never tried.

AES

Thanks for the advice. I have had another play and have come to the conclusion that the plastic sdheet makes a huge difference and by looking / feeling I cannot tell how it will scroll. I have one 2 mm white sheet of perspex which is a b-----r as it chips all the time and another black sheet which cuts like a dream.

I also think that the finer he blade the better I have been using a No. 1 skip tooth blade which seems to give the best results and as noted above at slow speed.

Thaks again

AQ

Back