Scroll saw - Rexon to Proxxon, any point?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been offered a Proxxon DSH scroll saw for 100€. My existing scroll saw is a Rexon SS4000 BQ. I use this for the fiddlier and wibblier bits of general woodworking. I'm not in to intarsia or anything like that, and so far my current machine has done everything that I want of it. The lower blade fixing is a little inaccessible though and the blower really doesn't seem to do anything.

Having a look online at the Proxxon, that does seem to be a similar sized but slightly nicer machine with a more powerful, electronically regulated motor. It has two speeds which may or may not be of use to me. I've not had a problem with my fixed speed machine. Some reviews I have read suggest that the blade fixing on the Proxxon might not be the best ever though? This hasn't been a problem for me with my Rexon even though the lower fixing is very fiddly, one needs to use a very long 3mm allen key to reach the pinch bolt. I use blades without pins by the way.

I could sell my old saw to another friend, so the overall total cost of this upgrade would be around 50e.

What do folks think? I'm also trying to save up for a better table saw, my current one is a rather nasty pressed steel far eastern affair, so my thoughts are mostly that the difference in the quality of these scroll saws, for my use, means that it isn't worth making the switch and I should save the cash. Every time I use the table saw I think I should really get a better one. I've never had those thoughts when using my scroll saw. But, OTOH, the scroll saw is a tool that I use a fair amount, and if the Proxxon is significantly nicer and easier to use in practice then maybe I should take the opportunity while it exists?

Its a shame your not in the UK as if you could stretch to £160 there's a Hegner with pedal for sale on this forums sale section...... Hegners are excellent quality saws.

Claymore":3m7vjte3 said:
Its a shame your not in the UK as if you could stretch to £160 there's a Hegner with pedal for sale on this forums sale section...... Hegners are excellent quality saws.

Funny you should mention that :) I have been keeping an eye on a Hegner Multicut SE for sale here in Finland, the asking price is 540e though and I really can't justify that much.

I went to look at my friend's Proxxon and decided that it really didn't offer anything extra that I need. I do seem to use my scroll saw quite a lot - over the last couple of days I have used mine to remove waste from dovetails and also to cut out windows and doorways in a toy stable, which is typical for my use of the tool - so, I don't really *need* a better one, but it is always nicer to use better tools. Since looking at the Proxxon I did have an enquiry about whether or not I could cut acrylic on my scroll saw though, and here maybe the proxxon's slow speed setting might have been ideal - it's been sold now of course.

I come to the UK fairly regularly with a truck for work purposes (household removals and art transport) but of course buying something second-hand from the UK would mean that lots of planets would have to come into alignment at the right time. That looks like an excellent deal on the machine in Nottingham and if I was going to be up that way in the near future I'd *definitely* be interested. My next trip will be to Germany and Belgium though :/

Latest posts

Back