Scribing tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I know we've had threads before about expensive scribing tools, and how one of the best
actual scribing tools is just an old school compass.

It appears there's a fly in this ointment. For no reason
I can discern, plain old school compasses are going for crazy money on eBay.

Here's a brass Helix compass, nothing special.

cc.jpg

The seller certainly doesn't talk it up:

title Old Skool Brass Helix drawing compass made in England
description: Here we have a old Helix Brass Drawing Compass point sharp and in good used condition by Helix made in England thanks for looking royal mail second class postage UK mainland only.

Selling Price (with 13 bids) ?

£28.00 with £1.80 P&P.

WT actual F?

BugBear

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 203
Jesus H. Christ, 28 flipping quid? Nostalgia bids maybe?

I shall have to dig up the old one or two I have hiding in one of the boxes in the spare room and flog them!

NazNomad":22940goo said:
OMFG, I have just been using one of these.

*fumbles with nervous excitement at the prospect of early retirement and fabulous wealth and drops it into the Patented Worthless Helix Compass Mangler you just invented in the hope of retiring early and fabulous wealth. Balls.

The compass in question is only at that price due to its illustrious past history. It once belonged to some titled chap by the name of... Sir Cumference.

I'll see myself out.

iNewbie":33f3whck said:
I'll google Paul Sellers + Helix Compass to see if theres a link.

Well, the vendors (see what I did there?) aren't mentioned scribing or Sellers in their texts.

BugBear

I've noticed the same thing. It's not especially recent either - I'd guess at the last two or three years.

I think the explanation may be that what is on offer in ordinary stationery shops is nowhere near as good. My kids brought home horrible versions, with a stubby point and a plastic fixing ring that would only hold a pencil too gently to work.

Alex's link shows eBay's similar items and they are what I was trying to describe - they're all really dreadful.

I stand to be corrected, but I gather the powers that be have decreed the Helix compasses too dangerous for our precious rising generation to be exposed to. That long spike has potential - a possibility first discovered by schoolboys shortly after they were first made and sold, one suspects. Helix still provide school geometry instruments (do they still teach geometry?), but the compasses now have very short points, and by Andy's account, are pretty much useless for drawing circles. Or scribing tasks. Or anything else.

Maybe the price rise is down to a shadowy network of terrorists looking to build a cache of weaponry with which to threaten the educational establishment....

However, all is not lost! There are scribing alternatives - George Ellis describes the process of 'spiling' in Modern Practical Joinery (page 64) using a stick sharpened to a wedge at one end, and having a notch part way along for a pencil to rest in. The point of the wedge is run along the surface to be scribed to, and the pencil transfers the profile to the workpiece. No doubt the artful artisan can find ways to make the tool one-handed in use by firmly attaching the pencil with gaffer tape, chewing gum, a small screw or whatever. The spile has other clever uses, too - see Ellis for details.

If a scratch mark rather than a pencil line is acceptable, a pair of dividers should serve for scribing in many instances, too.

I lost my helix compass for a while, and had to come up with a temporary fix.

Take a normal modern school compass pull the pin out and replace with a panel pin, with the head snipped off.

Worked for the six months or so until I found the missing one.

Still carry it around though for when I need a second one set up for something.

bugbear":1r7syuav said:
NazNomad":1r7syuav said:
OMFG, I have just been using one of these.

To scribe. or draw a circle?

BugBear

I was drawing a circle... I mistakenly thought that's what it was for?

I'm now making a frame for it. Frightened to use the bloody thing now. :-D

Is this the right place to post my Grandads drawinks stuff? Look a the quality. Stanley made some lovely gear once. Has his initials on the outside of the box etched in brass. Stanley and Holborn is just distinguishable on the velvet interior of the lid though much faded. Few bits missing alas. If theres any interest I can post some more pics in better light in a couple of days when back from work.
Have a little look now cos this one won't be popping up on ebay. :D

SEF7cqL.jpg

Would be very interested to know if anyone has any info about Stanley in Holborn and drawing sets like this.
Cheers
Chris

I have some Kern stuff from when I was at school!

Pete

That's the business, Chris. I think that Stanley of London also made navigation instruments. No connection to the American company.

Everyone should have a set like that, ready for the day the Russians destroy all our computers with a giant electro magnetic pulse.

Back