Scribing Tools & Marking Gauges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm quite interested in buying this
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/ACCUSCRIBE In my line of joinery work the only main things I need to scribe are architraves and worktops (on the rare occasion that I fit a kitchen). during my apprenticeship I was just taught to use a block of timber, but I like the look of this and think I'll get some use out of it. Is it worth the £14 price?

Also, I've never really got on with normal marking gauges so I'd like to get a wheel gauge. Admittedly, I haven't had a gauge in my tool box for years. I've always found an alternative way of marking but if I have one I'm pretty sure I'll use it. So due to it being a tool that won't be used a hell of a lot I don't need to spend a large amount on it, so was considering this

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKZ7 so any opinions on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

I do a lot of scribing in of fitted furniture and have always used a suitable piece of scrap wood and a pencil.

However, that gadget looks pretty neat and for £14 I think I'll have a punt.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Brad

Thanks everyone.

Brad: yeah, £14 isn't too much and the amount of architrave/skirting I need to scribe I'm pretty sure I'll use it a lot and quickly find out if its any good or not.

Alf: Thanks, the gauge you linked to looks good and isn't too expensive. Think I'll go for one of those. cheers

For scribing to walls, etc I don't think you can beat a washer and pencil, however, if you're tempted to go the bobbin route and would like a high tech alternative, why not consider this by Trend?

Scrit

Scooby

I have owned the marking guage you link to and sold it to allow me to purchase the one Nibbo links to.

The Axminster one is much better

Scooby

I have just bought the Canadian 3-in-1 brass gauge referred to in Paul's post above, which refers to an excellent review by Alf. I'd forgotten about Alf's review, but when I re-read it yesterday, it confirmed my choice! I haven't used it in anger yet, but it's well made and looks like it will be very versatile.

Hope this helps

Les

Back