Scribing tips please (success!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've got a job interview coming up, its installing fitted bedroom furniture for a well known company. Assuming I get through the initial interview there is then a week long "product familiarisation course" which I would imagine is more about them seeing what I can do. The chap on the phone suggested the main skill is being able to do fast accurate scribing. Any tips? I have done some but not loads and will spend a couple of days practising before hand but any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Either get on youtube or go spend a day with somebody else that has a lot to do, you'll pick up more tips watching than reading.

As far as I can tell wooden boat builders are king of scribers.

If I have to scribe anything like an end panel into a plastered wall I would clamp or wedge it into position as near as possible to its final resting place, plumb it up or keep it parallel to what it will be fixed to.

I know there are some fancy gadgets available for scribing but I always use an old brass school compass ( the dangerous type with a 50mm spike ) as they can get into most little nooks and cranny's.

Then measure how much you need to remove to get the panel back to the wall, set the compass to this width and mark the panel. You could cut a block of wood this size to rest your pencil on.

Remove the panel from the clamps and cut with what ever saw suits, I generally use a hand saw in this situation as it is easily controlled and it is best to "undercut" as long as the panel is not seen from behind.

If you don't need to remove much then use a block plane. sometimes it is better to take your time and get a good finish as it may not be caulked and some of this stuff costs a fortune, they might charge you if you muck it up.

If it is particularly awkward it may be prudent to make a cardboard template the same way.

Merlin

Having seen, and spoken to a few of these guys in action, they are inducted into the way of understanding how the designs are worked out for installation, they use a standard system of construction, which from what I have seen is a kit of parts of pre cut MFC panels, 25mm MDF strips and lots of edging tape.

They used to have a fitters manual which I have tried without succes to get hold of, perhaps they may offer you one pre interview!

In all cases they never seemed to have a huge range of tools, a pair of plastic folding trestles, a good jig saw, a panel saw and electric screwdivers/drills.

The good thing is that all the materials were always delivered prior, and put into the room, ready for the fitters.

Regards sribing, I would suggest they will "train" you on their best methods, so as long as you a competent in using "tools", should be a breeze.

Good luck.

Got the job! 8)
Just completed a week of training and will be let loose in someone's house this week...
Big deal for me as I've been wanting a career change for a while. This is the fitters manual, bit of light bedtime reading...

Attachments

• 14402691863910.jpg
    14402691863910.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,774
well done, just remember, never refuse a cup of tea and wipe your feet on the way in

Well done on succeeding with your interview, what did they get you do show them - apart from the ability to read?
Hope you enjoy your new career.

David

Thanks everyone. Finished my first fit today, took 3 days. Was supposed to take two, but was more concerned about not messing it up. Should get quicker once I've done a few.
14407056982470.jpg

Attachments

• 14407056982470.jpg
    14407056982470.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 955
Do you mind me asking what that Job paid just curious as i supply and fit furniture of my own.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back