Screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are OK as is brass, I would have thought the cadmium plated gold screws OK too. The thing to watch out for with stainless is the head crumbles under stress... I mean the cross chews out. I would use the same principle as brass. Drive a hardened ordinary screw in first to cut the threads, and with oak be generous with the pilot hole. Do a few experiments on scrap it doesn't have to be hard to get in oak for it to be a good fixing. Oh and a little wax on the end of the screw helps.
I am sure you know most of the above from your long experience.

Alan

I agree, a bit of prep is needed with SS screws, treat as for brass. I've found though that the heads shear of SS screws :x quite easily so beware - Rob

Woody Alan":3p4u2wwz said:
They are OK as is brass, I would have thought the cadmium plated gold screws OK too. The thing to watch out for with stainless is the head crumbles under stress... I mean the cross chews out. I would use the same principle as brass. Drive a hardened ordinary screw in first to cut the threads, and with oak be generous with the pilot hole. Do a few experiments on scrap it doesn't have to be hard to get in oak for it to be a good fixing. Oh and a little wax on the end of the screw helps.
I am sure you know most of the above from your long experience.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I am a new convert to proper wood having been a fan of the manufactured stuff (mainly for cost and ease of working with cheapo tools) over the years and its things like these tips that are great to find out. Sam

I am a new convert to proper wood having been a fan of the manufactured stuff (mainly for cost and ease of working with cheapo tools) over the years and its things like these tips that are great to find out. Sam

You will find a wealth of information from people from all walks of woody type things here and we all have something to learn. The reason oak doesn't like iron "ferrous" type materials is because it has tannins in it which react badly with it. Don't leave your tools on it overnight! or leave a piece on your cast iron tops.

Alan

Latest posts

Back