Screws vs biscuits for garden furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm new to the forum, so thanks to all for replies to my messages, much obliged! This is a great resource.

Anyway, I'm making some oak garden furniture. The table will consist of a basic frame with front and back rails, with 3 shorter rails running front to back which will support (many) lateral strips to make a slatted top which runs the whole length of the table (ie no visible frame).

Having never made anything for outside use, am as yet undecided as to how to fix these strips on - but they need to be accurately located to maintain constant gaps between them. I guess I could:

* Pre-drill pilots and use SS screws from underneath the rails into the strips

* Biscuit and glue them

I know it's kind of six of one and half dozen of the other, but any comments are welcome! And any recommendations for suitable glue?

MTIA, Matthew

Hi there,and welcome :D

Firstly,if using glue,it needs to be waterproof (D3 standard pva;polyurethane;Titebond 3 or similar)
But I would go for screws - drilled with counterbores,and filled with plugs (from the same timber you make the bench from) as I feel this would still allow for expansion and contraction of the timber.

And I'm sure there will be other people along shortly,probably with an equal amount of different suggestions :wink:

Andrew

I'd go with Andrew on this one Matthew, although I might even not bother to plug the screwholes if they are on the underside :shock:

Good point on the choice of glue also.

Post some pics when you get started :D

Cheers, Paul.

Back