Screwfix Goldscrew Trade Cases - Sort of review & compla

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as a newbie to the site, I thought I would make a contribution myself. It seems a bit over the top to do a full review on a box of screws... but I thought others might like to see what I've done and maybe agree and disagree with my complaint!

First of all theres always been one thing that screwfix did that really irritates me, and that is when they changed there screw selection boxes. They used to have them as small, medium and large, Now the large one had a great selection of screws which was:
3.0x12mm, 3.5x12mm, 3.5x16mm, 3.5x20mm, 4.0x20mm, 3.5x25mm,
4.0x25mm, 3.5x30mm, 4.0x30mm, 5.0x30mm, 3.5x40mm, 4.0x40mm, 4.0x45mm, 4.0x50mm, 5.0x50mm, 5.0x60mm, 5.0x70mm, 5.0x80mm & 6.0x100mm

Now to me that is one hell of a good selection, you could do everything from drawer runners and small hardware to a bit of framing with it. Not any more...

They have 5 Types of case available:
General Pro Case - 4x30 to 6x100
Carpenters Trade Case - 3.5x16 to 4x50
General Midi Trade Case - 4x30 to 6x100
General Trade Case - 4x30 to 6x100
Builders Trade Case - 4x30 to 6x100

Now to me, that says they just want you to buy 2 cases to cover what the old one did therefore costing more.

Now I've needed a screw box for ages instead of pinching my dads :shock: So had to do something about it. I bought the Carpenters trade case and some extra compartments to re-do the layout just like the old trade cases and a load of screws.

First of all, the case on the outside.
01.jpg

The supplied layout...look at all them duplicate sizes! (Sorry forgot to take pics of the inside before I changed it all about)
02.jpg

After I rearranged the lot and got rid of all the duplicate sizes (most wern't even 1/4 full so could of easily fitted in just one box.
03.jpg

The safety catch to stop the lid opening when somone picks it up without closing the catches, nice idea in theory though i've seen them fail many times before on site. :p
04.jpg

Ah but it doesn't work does it, as It hasn't been punched properly... Bit disappointing but only needs a screwdriver to adjust it.
05.jpg

By adjust I mean bend. :lol:
06.jpg

Total cost for the trade case, 2 extra blue compartments, and extra screws came to about £45, there's about 1500 screws spare that are not in the pictures which wouldn't fit back in so overall I think its worked out pretty good price wise.

Danny

I think these cases are on offer at the moment.

Picture 3 bottom right box - you are a very sick man :lol: :lol: :lol:

lurker":380gzi22 said:
Picture 3 bottom right box - you are a very sick man :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad it wasn't just me. :lol:

Doesn't everyone?

I'd be lucky to get the same sizes in the same boxes, the size card's long gone and the case barely square. Come to think of it where's the screws? :lol:

Fecn":2q5ioj3k said:
I have been known to - You can get more in that way.

Just out of interest what do you use to clean then with first? :lol:

:lol: Well, certainly had a bit of a laugh reading the replies!

Now I'm not too organized at all :p If you look at the 5x80 section (to the left of the 6x100's) that just about fills a box when poured in. So I stacked them in just to make sure they all fit in.

Danny

Hi Danny,

Good post I was thinking of ordering one of the small cases they do for about £18 and emptying out the screws so I can put all my Kreg jig and screws in it.

If you want the big case with screws you would be better getting one from Howdens they come with Reisser screws and are only £35, also the Howdens cases are much better.
The safety latch was changed on the Howdens ones a couple of years ago, its recessed now so you cant accidently catch it and spill all the contents.

I see the screwfix ones still have the latch sticking out.

Back