Screw storage... if you know what I mean.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a dozen or more boxes of (half used) 200 screws.
Half of the boxes are falling apart.
I keep looking at these storage 'sets', wondering if they
will hold 200 50mm screws?
Any experience please, good / bad?

I went a different direction. I used to have the boxes on shelves in a cupboard. I haven't got that luxury now so have some 12L and 18L ? plastic "Really Useful Boxes" with clip lids. If a screw box starts to split I run some tape inside and outside of the box and then store the screwbox in the plastic box.
They stay in place so no more damage to boxes, are easy to see and access and can be carried around from job to job.

Colin

I had a similar issue with screw storage and during one of the lockdowns, decided to fix it with a load of Form Kaze 1 litre storage boxes and some left over ply. The boxes can easily take more than 200 50mm screws and they’ve all got lids which makes taking them out to site easy. I printed up some labels and its made organisation and keeping track of what I’ve got in stock really easy.

20230218_104218368_iOS.jpg

20230218_104245291_iOS.jpg

I also ended up buying a Racco storage unit for all my M series nuts and bolts since they're much smaller and given my experience with that, I wouldn't use it for screws.

@Phuture said"fix it with a load of Form Kaze 1 litre storage boxes " Not heard of them, any links please? Neat idea.
I picked them up from B&Q. This should be the link: Form Kaze 1 litre boxes
If I remember correctly, the first batch I bought came without lids so I had to buy some additional lids when I bought my next batch. I also bought a load of their 3 litre and 5 litre boxes after the success I had with my screw storage (and then some 10 and 20 litre boxes from Ikea). Pretty much everything in my workshop is now in some sort of box like this that's then installed on timber runners. Using runners to hold the boxes on the sides means that I haven't got many shelves which reduces my tendency to pile things up on them.
Hope this helps

As @eribaMotters has already suggested, I use the same plus those from Sistema boxes with the blue clips. Both are very sturdy and stack nicely.
I used to be dragged kicking and screaming into TK Maxx but now occasionally find them in there in packs of 3 or 5. Morrisons sell the smaller ones too.
There’s normally a good selection of the sets of Really Useful boxes in Hobbycraft that are worth a butcher’s.

I've always been very impressed by really useful boxes and after throwing away countless cheaper brittle boxes over the years have now vowed to only buy really useful in the future, firstly because of the quality, but also because having everything stack together, interchangable lids just makes storage easier. I can buy a replacement, tomorrow, next year, or five years time, other brands might have the quality but may not be readily available in the future

I also have a couple of fatmax deep pro organisers, which are excellent.

That said, specifically on screw storage, I keep on coming back to a youtube video by 'the honest carpenter' where he sings the virtues of keeping everything in the cardboard box (reinforced with tape if needed), on the grounds that it is contained, clearly labelled, ready to grab as needed. essentially why complicate things if you don't need to. But obviously there is a difference between screws that you replace every few weeks, and more obscur fixings that can go years between uses.

What are they like in cold weather, I have had some plastic storage cases that became very brittle.
They've been fine so far. I bought the first batch in March 2020 and then added a load more around July/August 2020 and I haven't had any of the boxes or the lids break so far. They do generally stay in the workshop but I've had a few outdoor projects over the last couple of years and they've stood up well considering they've been out in cold and rain. I think they probably would become brittle and susceptible to cracking if they were constantly outdoors but they've been fine so far in an unheated workshop and they've taken being knocked over / dropped etc without any hassle for me.

Stanley organiser boxes for me - just need to shoparound as prices vary widely - someone gave me 2 as a birthday present and I've added to them . . .making a rack in the workshop for the 7 I have now. The partitions are adjustable and can be arranged to take full boxes of screws (labelled, of course!)

That said B&M stores have a similar product in two sizes that's pretty good - I have 4 or 5 of them for all sorts of odds and sods of bits.

I've a dozen or more boxes of (half used) 200 screws.
Half of the boxes are falling apart.
I keep looking at these storage 'sets', wondering if they
will hold 200 50mm screws?
Any experience please, good / bad?

Personally I don't like the "multi drawer" style solutions in that any organised filing system that means each part has a predetermined spot. If you finish a particular part the drawer is still there, similarly you have nowhere convenient for a new size that belongs in the middle of the existing options.

A dozen different screws perhaps it's not so important but one of my things is electronic components where I have hundreds, perhaps thousands, of parts in stock. If they're not filed so I can find them when needed I may as well not have them.

What I do with those in the main is simple paper envelopes for each part number. I generally keep them sealed with paper clips and keep them filed in order in shoe boxes. Dirt cheap and does the job well.

In the main I use 6x3.5" envelopes which was initially because if I ever want some proper drawers they're a good fit for library-style 6x4 record card systems. I do use them for hardware too but from experience a couple of hundred 50mm screws will need two or three envelopes to contain.

I now have separate runs of C5 envelopes for larger stuff, cheap clear pencil cases e.g. https://groceries.asda.com/product/pencil-cases/pen-gear-pvc-assorted-pencil-case/1000257120654 in the same runs for heavier or more frequently used stuff. The latter also come in handy for those small collections of related tools you use once in a blue moon - file them away and you can find them when needed.

For a long time, I have been using empty plastic jars to store screws, nails, staples, and bulk materials. The jars are from mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, ketchup, and the like. I write the dimension on a piece of paper to grab them as I need.

Attachments

• DSC06376.JPG
    DSC06376.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06378.JPG
    DSC06378.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
My solution was multi set storage tubs with lids from IKEA different sizes in pack so bought a few sets keeps shelves tidy mine all have green lids so coordinated I also bought some multi pack mini boxes from Quality save for small nuts screws washers

Well it looks like I don`t have enough screws judging by @clogs collection !

I have a Raaco box which contains 4 separate boxes, these each have lots of different trays which can be confugured in lots of ways.
like this one HandyBox 55x4
It works well and must be good because I bought it from maplins when they still existed, I keep it in my van at all times, there is also the random box in the corner which contains all the odd left overs and stuff, this I have found to be unavoidable no matter what I do.

Ollie

Well it looks like I don`t have enough screws judging by @clogs collection !

I have a Raaco box which contains 4 separate boxes, these each have lots of different trays which can be confugured in lots of ways.
like this one HandyBox 55x4
It works well and must be good because I bought it from maplins when they still existed, I keep it in my van at all times, there is also the random box in the corner which contains all the odd left overs and stuff, this I have found to be unavoidable no matter what I do.

Ollie
Oh yes, very posh! Tks.

Latest posts

Back