screw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering which screw brand offers the best value for general woodworking? I tried to research it but had to give up as there are so many brands, then the lengths, then the screw style, and being a newbie I had no idea about waxed or double threads etc etc. Can any experienced woodworkers help me out and suggest a general good value brand and even where to shop - I usually go to Screwfix but you might know better??

Regards, Jinx

hi
I use gold screws nothing special Philips type from trans globle engineering cheap and cheerful (hammer)
pip

owen":31x9xz9u said:
I use screwfix turbo gold for almost everything

+1 for these - doesnt have to be screwfix, but the self cutting tips are good. Spax do similar ones that are just as good.

spax or fischer are good quality, depends on whether you are taking them in and out or just in once and that's it. cheaper screws tend to break 1 in every .... when you need to take them out. I wait to see a "special" on spax or fischer, wurth are good too.

nathan

I use Reisser for just about everything I must have 25 -30 boxes of different types and sizes of these screws.
I also have a large range of brass slotted screws but I don't use many and have had some of them for years ,so in total it must amount to around 50 boxes and still end up needing one I don't have .

I just had 3 of 4 cheap screws sheer in my face plate when taking it off a bowl blank after turning the outside. Massive bummer! I have spax so I'll be using the expensive ones next time for sure.

Spax are really good. Reisser are as well and tend to be a bit cheaper. Spax also do a range of MDF screws with torx heads. I think it is worth remembering to use good / sharp quality driver bits as well. Most important when you need to take them out again !

If you want to fit screws without a pilot hole, using a power driver, at max speed, then buy the premium types mentioned above which will self-drill in ordinary softwoods and are made of strong steel with a polished finish.
But you can also get by perfectly well with the basic ranges as sold by Screwfix under their Quicksilver brand, if you take a few other precautions such as pre-drilling, waxing the screws, and taking it a bit slower when driving them home.
If you sometimes might not have the patience, pay a bit more than the minimum to get best value.

Brilliant my way forward now- thanks everyone, I feel I know my way forward now, Jinx

nathandavies":18p44vhl said:
spax or fischer are good quality, depends on whether you are taking them in and out or just in once and that's it. cheaper screws tend to break 1 in every .... when you need to take them out. I wait to see a "special" on spax or fischer, wurth are good too.

nathan
'Es right ya know! I can't get any use from screw fix supplied screws, very easy to chew the head, even with care choosing the right bit!
I personally use spax or fischer when possible. but use jimmy jewsons when on a budget job or the stocks are low OK for "once in " use Rodders

I too have used cheap screws for years never had one break but I do always predrill I think saves in the long term :roll:
pip

Gold and turbogold are very good value for money, generally use the turbogold if I can. I have used a few thousand of them, none snapped but you do get the odd box with one screw that hasnt got a thread on it.

Once in a while I'll get some leftovers of other brands. Have found reisser/ficher the best out of the big brands.

Back