Screw fixings into an MDF router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
Making a folding router table mounted to the back of my mitre saw stand. I'm using some of the strong folding hinges from Screwfix which will be bolted to the mitre stand with M6 bolts. But what is the best fixings into the router top which is 32mm MDF?

What about these thread inserts.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-ty ... f-50/61859

The hinge has holes to take 4 fixings so would these inserts be strong enough or would they eventually pull out or work loose?

Would you glue them in to aid strength? If so what type of glue would you use?

I've used them successfully in MDF even under turning loads and they have been fine, suggest you strengthen the hole fibre ether with PVA on assembly or thin penetrating CA once assembled.

I had given this some thought as they would be well away from the main routing area. I was thinking about a counterbore together with a washer which would provide quite a load bearing area. Just need to find a way of getting perpendicular holes without using a pillar drill, but I guess I've got this same problem when drilling for the inserts.

RichD1":6qed4w4t said:
I had given this some thought as they would be well away from the main routing area. I was thinking about a counterbore together with a washer which would provide quite a load bearing area. Just need to find a way of getting perpendicular holes without using a pillar drill, but I guess I've got this same problem when drilling for the inserts.
2 squares, one in front of the drill and one to the side. Use both to keep the drill bit plumb as you drill. ;)

RichD1":2q1xt941 said:
Just need to find a way of getting perpendicular holes without using a pillar drill
Or make a guide from a block of wood on the drill press, if you really don't think you can manage it freehand. Or use router drill bits e.g. dowel bits.

Thanks for all the advice about drilling straight holes. I've decided to suspend the mitre saw/router stand whilst I sort out a mobile base unit for my pillar drill which is currently in pieces in the corner of the garage.

Latest posts

Back