Screw clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to mess up the Secret Santa thread so... I saw some really lovely wooden screw clamps in the SS posts and would like to buy a couple, but where please? I've tried Axi and Rutlands, Axi had none and I didn't know if the quality was there in the Rutlands clamps. My main use will be holding pen blanks for drilling but I'd like decent ones.

Thanks for your help.

Brendan

I think the ones in the SS thread were made by whoever sent the pressie.
I think it'd actually be an interesting project to make some - with varying lengths. I have seen them forsale somewhere but can't remember where.

Great Stuff, Speed.

I was searching using 'wooden clamp' and 'screw clamp'. This is exactly what I wanted, thank you very much for your help.

Brendan

I think Matthew sells them also. At least he used to, I have some ;)

I have bought them from Workshop Heaven in the past - they used to sell kits too?
But only the complete ones on their web site at the moment?

Rod

Brendan

In his excellent book "The Resourceful Woodworker", Robert Wearing shows you how to make all manner of wooden clamps, including the Jorgensen-type handscrews, from scratch. You don't even need a lathe to make the handles- you can use large wooden file handles.

If you want something small for pen blanks then a Toolmakers clampdoes a similar job.

You can also make these, I've still got the one I made at school

Jason

Thank you Evergreen and Jason.

I am starting to find Adam's suggestion attractive now as well.

Brendan

Thank you xy, no excuse now.

Evergreen, I just bought that book for £1.87 off Amazon, it looks like it's well worth having.

Brendan

Here's one I made earlier. Well, quite a while ago, in fact.
DSC00393.jpg

The great thing about these handscrews is that you can make them with odds and ends. All you need is a few offcuts of hardwood and some threaded rod. They don't have a hugely powerful grip but quite enough for most simple glue-ups.

Brendan
If you've got a copy of The Resourceful Woodworker for £1.87, you've got yourself a helluva bargain. It's packed with interesting stuff.

jasonB":3daxp8ue said:
If you want something small for pen blanks then a Toolmakers clampdoes a similar job.

You can also make these, I've still got the one I made at school

Jason
...same here, when I was a 'prentice, made in 1968, and still very useful - Rob

Back