Scraping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been trying my hand at using a hand scraper. I am in the process of finishing the top and doors to an American White Oak cabinet and thought I would have a go at scraping to a finish. In the past I would have used a sander and suffered the noise, but this way is quieter which means I can listen to "Steve Wright in the afternoon" whilst enjoying the satisfying sound of scraper shavings coming off the wood, mind you these only come off when I have managed to get a decent hook on the scraper (any tips welcomed!!). I am achieving a nice smooth finish which will eventually be coated in sanding sealer and wax.
By the way. What do you listen to in your workshop?
John

Hi JFW

The Wood Whisperer has an excellent video showing how to turn a burr on a scraper, it works for me.

And for the music, it depends on what I am doing: if I need some action then there is nothing better than "West Side Story" but for some slow quality hand tool work, there is nothing better than Beethoven's late quartets.

Dave

I don't listen to anything in the 'shop...too many times I've had one ear and half my concentration on the wireless and it's always won with the result that I've made stupid mistakes. Steve Wright though, wouldn't get anywhere near my 'shop :x - Rob

I've been listening to podcasts lately on my ipod, in the workshop. Much more interesting than anything on the radio.

As for scrapers, I've been sharpening mine on my ProEdge lately and that works really well. But before I had that, the veritas burnisher is the dog danglies...

When doing the power tool thing I tend to put my attention on just keeping my fingers and such where originally located ... no tunes for this , I tend to sway to the tunes. That said, in hand tooling mode, hard to top classical (Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King is great planing music as is the Anvil Chorus). For long drawn sessions such as scraping though , the balalaika of Russian folk tunes seems to best capture the correct mood (Volga Boatmen and Ochyn Chornya spring to mind).

Back